Can I use more ram than the specifications suggest in my Samsung notebook?

Jack Giebel April 12, 2013

I have a samsung NP305E5A notebook, and the specs say it can only handle 8GB total with 4GB in each slot. Would it be possible to use two 8GB modules, or would the laptop just not boot with those ram modules in it?

Thanks, Jack

1. Uchitha Jayathissa

However If you are using 32 BIt windows then It can only use 4GB(maybe 3.5 GB).

Nowadays, the maximum stated by the manufacturers is the actual maximum (in the distant past, this was not always so). You are not going to damage the hardware if you install any more, but it will only recognise the 8GB, and in fact it may recognise half that, depending on the configuration of the chips on the modules.

if you use more ram than suggested you can get boot problem (BIOS do not support it), there are some systems on which you can install more ram than allowed but you get no performance with the rest of the ram.

4. DalSan M

I cannot find any information leading me to believe that your laptop can successfully support 8GB sticks of RAM for 16GB total. I also haven't found anything that says it won't, either. You could try and see if it works, but no guarantees or warranties about it.

I have an Acer AO-722 netbook with an AMD C-60 APU and 4GB was the manufacturer maximum supported density memory, in which memory manufacturers and sellers also state that 4GB is maximum. Many people have said that 8GB sticks of RAM does work in this netbook, and I am upgrading to 8GB max very soon (would go for more but the second memory slot is a dummy slot). I only say this because even though manufacturers state that there is a certain maximum supported amount of memory, it doesn't always turn out that way. But, and this is a big but, it doesn't mean that all computers and laptops will support larger amounts of RAM than suggested. You can try it at your own risk, but I don't think that it would be as severe as damaging anything, just would only read 4GB maximum per slot instead of the full 8GB the stick contains.

It wont work and you could possibly cause motherboard problems.

6. Chris Marcoe

I believe it would boot just fine. However, regardless of how much you put in each slot, it is still going to only recognize 4G per slot. You would just be wasting your money.

Worst case scenario would be yes, your comp wouldn't boot. It's the MoBo that is dictating how much RAM it can handle.