Can I use Dropbox as a non-syncing cloud storage device?

Erik April 11, 2013

The more I use Dropbox, the more I realize that I don’t really want a tool that syncs files between various computers. What I really want is a piece of space in the Cloud where I can access files from various computers (as if they were in a directory on my hard drive) and share certain items as necessary.

Are there any free services like that or is there a way to configure Dropbox to work that way? Thanks!

1. Erik

Thanks! I think my question is "resolved."!

the latest dropbox app has the setting that you can use to not allow it to sync any files or sync only the files you want.

3. Mark Lukens

Actually, I think you can do what you want to do with dropbox pretty easily. When you first install Dropbox, it adds 'dropbox.exe.' to your auto-startup in Windows. All you have to do it remove this .exe file from the startup group (using msconfig, or autoruns, or any other startup manager), and it will no longer sync constantly. Then when you want to upload files, put them in the 'dropbox' folder, and run the dropbox.exe file. It will upload them to the cloud, and download whatever is in the cloud and not on your current computer. Just stop the dropbox program when done, and delete any files you don't need. This is what I do, since I don't want every computer I use constantly checking and re-checking for files to upload/download, since I only access the files occasionally.

Not sure if this is what you're wanting or not. Hope it helps.

4. Harshit J

You can use Amazon cloud drive and Idrive.
    But if you only access the cloud drive from a browser, then every such cloud service will act like what you want.

• Erik

Thanks. I prefer to access through windows explorer rather than the web. I will give Idrive a try though.

5. macwitty

Sygarsync will do it - you can decide if you want to merge the folders or not. If you do not do it they will be as two different folders. Hurry up - if you are lucky you can get a 30 GB account in the give away http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/sugarsync-2-0-sports-new-look-even-easier-to-use-giveaway/

• Erik

Thanks! I'll give this a try. Any ideas for manipulating Dropbox?