Can I use an access point as a wireless adapter?

Adeel A August 19, 2013

I have a TP-Link wireless access point that I want to use as a wireless network adapter. Can you explain how to do this?

1. Irshaad A

Enable the Wireless Client Mode of the router and connect it to your laptop/pc to use.

Enter your router's administration panel.
    Go to Wireless
    Then Wireless Settings, set Operation Mode to Client
    Next, Click on Survey to scan the environment for available wireless networks.
    When the search has been completed click on the 'Connect' link found to the right of your desired network.
    Click Save.
    Reboot the router by accessing System Tools >> Reboot

Note: If the network you are trying to connect to is key-protected, you need to set the network key in Wireless Security and Rebooting. Make sure the security settings are same as the network you are connecting to; this is usually displayed in the results page of the networks survey.

A router in Client Mode connects to another wireless Access Point (the host router).
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode_Wireless

Search the manual for Wireless Client Mode:
    If it supports Client Mode set it up according to the manual then connect a Ethernet cable from your computer to the Access Point.