Can I use a power bank with 5V/1.5A output to power a USB modem/router?

Jaypee C November 3, 2013

I had been using my modem/router to connect to Internet for quite some time and I always plug it to a computer USB port so I could use it.

Since I don’t always bring my computer with me I can’t use the device when I am outside. Now I am wondering whether I could use my power bank to power my device. The output power my power bank gives is 5V/1.5A max.

Anyone who knows? Thanks!

From an electrical view that should be possible, yes. The USB specification usually is 5V with max. 500mA and your power bank can provide that.

I am however questioning the technical possibility.
    Usually when dealing with USB modems it is the computer that does the actual dial-in or authentication e.g. via PPPoA or some VPN connection to the provider. So unless your modem can be configured dial-in on it's own like on demand or so you will always need that USB connection to your system in order to get internet.

If your modem has an Ethernet port (in additional to the telephone/DSL one) than this might be possible. If your modem only has the connector for the DSL line and the USB port to the computer then I believe you will always have to hook it up to your computer for the dial-in.

As always the manual to the modem should have the answer or your provider if it was supplied with the internet access.

• Jaypee C

thanks for the insight.. .. .. usb routers these days can work on their on.. thanks to broadband and wireless technologies.. .. just wanted to make sure if it's safe for me to use the power bank to power it

• Jan F

Cool. In my region they always hand out the standard gateways with 4 Ethernet Ports, WiFi, etc. so I really just know those stone-age USB modems.

If I'm not mistaken the power bank is one of those USB power packs for your mobile devices. It should work just fine. After all you just switch from one USB port to another oneā€¦

• Jaypee C

yup.. .. those power banks are meant to charge mobile devices.. i dont know if it will work fine on powering some.. .. wont it have a bad effect?.. ..

• Jan F

For the modem? Not that I can think of now. It's still "USB power", just from another device.

However, if you keep the power bank connected to a charger things can go bad.
      If the overcharge protection circuit isn't intelligent enough it will kill the battery in a rather small time frame. If there is no overcharge protection at all having it constantly charging can result in the battery bloating or worse duo to heat.

If the manual is filled with warnings about high temperature, disconnect when fully charged etc. then it may not be the best idea.

• Jaypee C

no, i charge the power bank only when it's needed. i wanted to make sure if using it to power my usb modem wouldn't have a negative effect to both the usb modem and power bank.

btw my usb modem is huawei e355. my power bank is pqi power model: abg-100b (7800mAh).

check this TP-LINK TD-8817 ADSL2 Ethernet/USB Wired with Modem Router
    http://www.flipkart.com/tp-link-td-8817-adsl2-ethernet-usb-wired-modem-router/p/itmd8fse8zfuvxzb
    Power:
    Power Supply 5 V DC, 1 A
    Power Consumption 5.4 W