Can I upgrade to Windows 7 SP1 without losing data?
Question by Erlis Dhima /

Some time ago a Windows update appeared to update to Windows 7 SP1! I hid the update since I was unsure if I should apply it or not. What would you suggest?

I don’t want my programs or anything to get messed up. Is it like an upgrade from a version of Windows to another (like from Vista to 7) where I need to install my programs again… Does it affect my files?

Thanks in advance!

• prasad kondaveti

you can upgrade

• Qin Tang

It’s better to backup your data before updating your system.

• Yogiraj Mishra

Yes You can ! there is no probs in that its fully safe.

• Rakesh Mishra

u can upgrade only your instALLED software will be lost

• Nikhil Chandak

Yes u can !

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

You can upgrade without losing anything. I was reluctant too but then I tried my luck. It’ll ask for reboot but that’s all. Go on and update:)

• Stanimir Mihov

Its not usual for data loss to occur during a Service Pack Update

• Jan Fritsch

Usually neither an update nor upgrade requires the reinstallation of software – only if the installed version is incompatible with the newer system.

As for the Service Pack 1 it should be safe to install without having to do any reinstallation or updating of other software. Basically a service pack is a like the last 100+ security updates and a bunch of new updates packaged into a single installation.

Not messing things up or losing data is another topic – it’s a risk with any and everything you install. If your system is already “full of bugs and errors” the update could fail and render your system unbootable. If you never faced any issues until now SP1 should install without any problem.

• Erlis Dhima

My windows os doesn’t have any bugs ’till now, so I should probably install this update! :) Thanks for your answer!

• Owaseye ILEMOBAYO

yes

Updating your system with a service pack does not affect your programs and data. It is merely a bundle of all of the released hotfixes and patches up to the release date of the service pack that are all installed at the same time. If you have been keeping your system up-to-date with all of the previous patches, the service pack won’t even be changing many of the operating system files anyway.BTW, upgrading from Vista to 7 in most cases does not require reinstallation of your programs either unless you are shifting from 32-bit to 64-bit or vice versa or going from a more expansive edition to a lesser one (Professional or Ultimate to Home Premium for example).

• Erlis Dhima

I’ve done all the lasted updates. But I will try do install this update too!