Can I upgrade my Android to a higher version manually?
Question by Rakesh G R /

My mob runs on Gingerbread and found it’s upgradable to Ice Cream Sandwich. Can I do it on my own or do I take it to the service center?

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , .
Best Android Apps
Best Android Apps
Android Rooting & ROMs
Android Rooting & ROMs
Android OS Tips
Android OS Tips
Best Android Phones
Best Android Phones
Best Android Games
Best Android Games
Android Helpdesk
Android Helpdesk

• Tony Gonzaga

The safest way to upgrade is to bring it to your service center.

• Prasanth Mathialagan

Dont take chances with your mobiles if you are not sure.. Service centres are solely there for these things.

• Alex Perkins

If there isn’t an official update from Samsung then you can either root your device and install an ICS ROM or you could use a ICS Launcher from Google Play.

• Boni Oloff

Yes, you can do it, try to download the software updater from the phone website, if there is already update you can do it via the software.

If the upgrade is available officially via your cellphone manufacturer for your particular model, you yourself should be able to do it as it is not a complex process. Most of the android phones does have a PC interface software from the manufacturers, so if your cellphone is plugged-in via the USB to the computer, usually these software detect the firmware installed and suggest for the latest upgrade, if available. You agree and henceforth it is a pretty straight-forward automated process. Alternatively, you can go into the settings of your android cellphone and then about device / phone and then check for software update.

Ice Cream Sandwich should be available through Kies, if you are used to upgrade firmware or have doubts then perhaps the service center will be more secure.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GIdhiTFXUY

Kies is applicable for Samsung phones only and we are not sure if the person is using Samsung, therefore I explained it to him in a more generic way. :)

yap Kies is for samsung, also be sure that the person hardware support upgrade Ice Cream Sandwich, some are locked to single version. you can always “root” your phone and download a custom ROM of Android.