Can I track a brand new, unopened laptop that was stolen from my home?
Question by Todd B /

I recently was given a brand new laptop as a graduation present. It was stolen from my home. The new laptop had not even been unwrapped out of it’s packaging or booted up. Is there a way to track it online, if someone begins using it on the Internet?

• Justin Pot

Sorry for the bad news, but you’re kind of screwed. A (fleeting) hope is that the company that made the computer has some kind of software one it, but I highly doubt it. Still, give them a call if you’re interested.

Have you filed a police report? Because you should.

• Jan F

I’m afraid you won’t be able to track it in any way. Even hardware trackers or security chips need to be activated/configured at least once.

If you have the serial number or some sort of unique system ID on the receipt or so you could file a police report, then report it stolen at the manufacturer but this would only cause a red flag once the device is handed in for warranty repair.

• Dalsan M

Unfortunately, there is very little that can be done to track down an unopened, packaged laptop. If you had registered the laptop, there might have been a slight glimmer of hope. If you had installed a tracking app or device (like Lo-Jack GPS locator), there would have been a little more hope. Since the laptop was never turned on, it is very likely that the laptop was never set up for any user, so no registration of the laptop and no apps installed for theft protection.