Can I switch out a broken mechanical drive for a solid state drive?

Stella Tournier November 7, 2012

I spilled water on my laptop and the man at took it straight to a repair centre. Before I gave it to them it was still turning on but could not load windows and would only show the reset screen. They’ve run tests on it and apparently the hard drive was affected (water went straight through it), and I need to buy a new one. However, because my laptop is very slim I’m finding it very difficult to find, and only SSDs show up in the search results. Would it be possible to change my HDD for an internal SSD or would it destroy my computer even more? And when looking for a hard drive, should I be using the serial or model number? Thank you!

1. josemon maliakal

It is difficult to recover physically damaged drives ...

I believe that the implied question is the form factor your computer uses, but am not entirely certain.

To clarify form factors, or the size of the hard drive, it's important to note that almost all SSDs have a 2.5" form factor. They are also, to a less common extent, made in the 1.8" form factor. In general, if you have an ultrabook (or any laptop with an unusually thin or small size), there's a good chance your machine uses a smaller sized drive in the 1.8" category. Otherwise, it's likely a 2.5" SATA drive.

The vast majority of laptops use a 2.5" form factor in hard drives. 2.5" HDDs are made primarily for laptops.

Prices on SSDs are generally reasonable. Here's a good deal on one of the better Samsung drives. However, it's fairly small capacity and the price per gigabyte is not the best. On the other hand, it is regarded as one of the best SSDs out there.

My suggestion is to get an SSD ONLY if you have Windows 7. W7 offers a feature called TRIM that greatly enhances SSD longevity. Without it, handling an SSD becomes quite the pain. :-(

3. Dimal Chandrasiri

SSD is a nice option if you have enough money! and yes you can switch it!

4. Alex Perkins

Did you try searching for 2.5" laptop HDDs? Thats the dimensions of "Slim" SSDs and Laptop drives.

5. Jan Fritsch

In general there should be no problem switching a mechanical drive with a SSD.

There are a few to consider:
    1) what connector (IDE, SATA, ...) does your device offer
    2) what is the maximum supported height for the drive (usually no issue for SSds)
    3) what are your drive space requirements

If your device is still using IDE connector there is no point getting an SSD. For one it will be hard to find one with an IDE connector and there won't be any real performance gain because of the IDE limitations.

The supported drive height shouldn't be an issue for SSDs as they are usually very slim. If you are going for a mechanical drive it could become an issue depending on how spacious the internals of your device are.

Your drive space requirement is the most deciding factor. If you need 300-400GB of drive space you'll have to get a 512GB SSD which comes at $400 and above. A mechanical drive with 500GB on the other hand will be around $50.

6. Douglas Mutay

Good time for you to go for a SSD. As long as the connexion in your laptop allows it.

Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-notebook-portable,1913.html

if your BIOS detects the SSD drive then Windows can work with.

Yopu can have an SSD drive installed without any problems. They are much more expensive than a HDD but in my opinion well worth it.

9. Dhaval Patel

you have ask this question to repair center because if you may able to replace your mechanical HDD with SSD but if your laptop seller is not supporting that then it will void your warranty.

10. August

Ps Once you have a new drive installed and windows you may be able to slave the old drive and have it work long enough to pull any wanted files you have and transfer them to the new drive.

11. August

SSD drive- Very likely depending on bios,

You need to be able to get into your you bios setting and be able switch storage configuration From current [IDE} setting to [AHCI] setting .

You need to make sure your SSD drive come with brackets as the physical size of an SSD drive is smaller than Note book Drive.

You will find your system will boot noticeable faster and requires far less power to run this drive.

Make sure you have restore disk and drivers disc to reinstall windows.

As to the water in your note book I would suggest you find a zipp bag big enough for your note book to be sealed in and add a few pounds of dry rice and leave it for a few weeks. The rice is a great moisture absorber and it may (small chance) even bring your drive to life again but more importantly it will pull out any remaining moisture out of the electronics that could cause further damage. (Also works well for wet cell phones)

12. Benjamin Tiessen

1. How expensive was your laptop? If your laptop was under 500 dollars I would suggest just buying a new one because you could easily spend anywhere from 80 - $150 dollars just replacing your HDD. 2. How much space do you need? 3. Tip: you can install an operating system on your USB and run it from there while you wait for your hard drive to be replaced . (http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/install-operating-systems-in-flashthumb-drives-gets-easy-liveusb-creator/)

For the search, you can use the model number if you want to replace it with the exact same device though that is not necessary. You can almost always install larger hard drives which have different model numbers. Searching on serial numbers should net nothing for you since you won't find the same make and model of hard drive with the same serial number as the one you already own.Replacing your HDD with an SSD is also a valid option.

Was the drowned drive an HDD or SDD. If its an HDD, just buy a replacement or get an even larger (capacity not dimensions) drive. Use the model number. Its odd that water would get inside a hard drive.