Can I share an external hard drive with two computers, so both are able to read and write to the drive?

Scott July 14, 2013

Is it possible for two side-by-side PCs to share an external hard drive? With both PCs being able to read and write to that hard drive?

Want to be able to share and add files that both PC users could work on.

1. Bumferry H

I have a WB 500 gb external hard drive that I use between two laptops.

The above answer seems logical and I can't agrue with it, but simpler than that, i just save what ever file i need from one computer, save to a folder and plug the hard drive into the new laptop using the USB.

opening the hard drive as normal and open the file as if it were on THAT laptop all long.

It really is that simple for me, unless I understood the question, I don't see that you should have any problems.

2. Chris M

Connect the drive to one of the computers. Make sure both computers are in a home group or work group. Share the drive so the other one can access it. Then, both computers can use it.

1) Plug the external hard drive
    2) Open My Computer, locate external hard drive
    3) right click on it choose Sharing And Security, click yes for the sharing
    4) Go down to network and sharing
    5) Check the box share this folder on the network, you can change the name if you wish
    6) You can also allow Network users to change my files if you wish!
    7) Hit apply then okay
    you should see a hand on the hard drive that tells you it is ready for sharing

How to Share an Entire Hard Disk on a Windows 7 Home Network
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-share-an-entire-hard-disk-on-a-windows-7-ho.pageCd-storyboard,pageNum-10.html