Can I save a hard drive that seems to be failing?

Khaled M August 11, 2013

My laptop (a Fujitsu model Lifebook AH530) switched off suddenly and when I tried to start up Windows 7 it takes a very long time to start and after many tries I got an error message that said:

“Smart failure is predicted in your hard disk Samsung HN-M640mbb. Immediately back up your data, failure is imminent ”

I tested for bad sectors and it’s clean, I tried to wipe it with Copywipe in Hirens boot CD but it show me error after 50% from progress that it coudn’t read a sector. I don’t know how to fix it – please someone help me.

The main problem with the SMART warning is that it can prevent Windows from booting up. I would _definitely_ get a new drive and transfer the contents to it.

You can do this either on your laptop, connecting the new drive externally via a USB-SATA adapter and booting from CD/USB drive (see next section), or by removing the old drive and connecting both drives to a second computer, where you can run the software from the hard disc.

In principle, you should be able to use any disc-cloning/disc-imaging product for the job. For example, Acronis True Imatge, DriveImage XML or Paragon Software's Drive Copy. However, the SMART error may stop those packages from accessing the old drive, in which case I find that running a copy of Linux running from CD/DVD (I've used Ubuntu for the purpose in the past) usually does the job by simply ignoring the error.

Good luck!

To be honest I've seen plenty hard drives in a failing condition without SMART reporting anything. Since you have already been warned by it I would take this literal and get a new hard drive.

Even if the SMART error was in fact just bad blocks you have to be aware that while bad blocks are expected to appear and are usually self-recovering it can always happen that data on a bad block won't be recovered and the result being data corruption or loss up to an non-bootable system.

HDD Regenerator
    http://www.dposoft.net/
    once i repaired a hard drive with HDD Regenerator , it took 18hrs but the hard drive was saved

there is freeware alternative HDD Regenerator HDAT2 4.9B1/DRevitalize 1.2 located under Hard Disk Tools
    http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd