Can I safely plug my smartphone into a 3000 watt speaker system?

hazem elsaiegh May 10, 2013

Can i safely plug in a huge speaker (about 3000 watts) or more in to my phone 3.5mm jack or that of my note book? I’m afraid the electrical power will harm the smartphone or notebook, is that true? Or does it have nothing to do with it?

1. Scott Kupferman

Best bet is to get a good DAC so that you can run the audio through your amplifier, powering the speakers. Audioquest makes a great one that is really affordable with excellent performance called The Dragonfly. Check out out:

http://www.audioquest.com/usb_digital_analog_converter/dragonfly-dac

2. Avinash Mali

No, the 3.5 mm jack only provides output audio and don't harm. The speaker system just amplify the audio and sends to the surroundings. Make sure to keep the volume of speaker system to low when plugging in initially.

3. yudics

yes that is safe, so don't worry, speaker jack is for input of sound come from pc, laptop, ipad, or another devices, this input is have about 1-3 volts with small current about 1mA (Watt(P)= Volts(v) X Ampere(A)), inside speaker, this input is level up by amplifier circuit and this is need a big power and the result is big and better sound output as you hear at your 3000 watt speaker..

4. DalSan M

As long as the ohms are within the phone's limits and no power is going into the phone through the 3.5mm jack, then it should be fine. The output through the phone's 3.5mm jack should be around 32 ohms, and the audio input for the stereo should be similar. The wattage going into the external speakers should not have anything to do with the audio input of the stereo as long as the setup is correct. The ideal setup would be from the phone 3.5mm output to the stereo auxiliary 3.5mm input.

some speakers do come with necessary to plug iphone for instance, now depends on your smartphone?
    Logitech UE Air Play Speaker Docking

Choosing the right speakers for your phone
    http://asia.cnet.com/choosing-the-right-speakers-for-your-phone-62219796.htm