Can I run the current Mac OS on a dual-CPU system?

mike mcgowen January 21, 2013

Can I run the current Mac OS on my dual-CPU system with 20GB of RAM and an Nvidia GT 550 Ti? It is a Dell Precision 490 that I have modded to run in the case of a 1kw Dell Precision 690 tower so I could use the memory risers and power supply in the 1kw case.

I am asking only because I’m using dual Xeon quad-cores in a workstation, not just a normal PC, and I want to know if this is possible and what the steps are.

1. Jason Heiken

Apple has sold systems, (the MacPro), with dual quad core Xeon processors since they introduced the MacPro back in 2007.
    Any Mac os 10.5 and up should handle the dual quads just fine.
    Check this link http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/index-macpro.html and you can see the actual specs of every MacPro.
    The steps to make it work should be the same as getting any other hackintosh to work.

2. Marnu Venter

no but you can try to run a tripple core and dual side 3 module...

3. Ahmed Musani

yes it will be able to work.

4. Mihovil Pletikos

legally you can't, but there is no reason why it wouldn't run it!!!
    but why do you even need it?

• mike

I really don't need it I just love tech and pushing further into my uncharted territory and having the unordinary then play skyrim on it I guess it probably wont
      plus who wants to pay $4000.00+ (the spec range I like) just to try it out
      if it impresses me I would consider buying one I do like my I phones but I have much more fun on my androids so I don't want to throw the money away on a very software limited system in till I try it

• salim benhouhou

i believe you are right you have to test then purchase

are you transferring MAC OS From Tower 1 dual-CPU to Tower 2 Xeon quad-cores? WHich MAc OS you have?

check the processor type
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_Pro#Operating_systems

Build a Windows-powered "Mac Pro-like" PC workstation
    http://www.zdnet.com/build-a-windows-powered-mac-pro-like-pc-workstation-7000001048/

• mike

I have access to Mac os x 10.8/ 10.6.7/ 10.6.3 they are ISO's
      I know what I ask is illegal I just want to see if I like the os system I have 5 pc's running every operating system from xp-win8 the precision workstation is running the new Ubuntu and windows 7 ultimate I just want to take one for a test drive on a platform that spec wise can compete with the mac pro (for the money to me it can beat the pac pro) I have only 600$ invested in the workstation ebay mostly
      i know its a very large task I want to embark on but I have a usb stick and think it can be done and the hard drive I have to use is the wd caviar green 3tb I think its the best for the job