Can I run specific software in router like I do on PC?

Dennis M October 3, 2013

I need to share a VPN internet connection with 10 or more computers via a router. To do so I need to run a VPN client software and install VPN configuration files in the router so that the router can connect to the VPN tunnel.

So what router can use, and how do I go about it to achieve those things?

In general you need a router which has a VPN client built in or supports site-to-site VPN tunneling. You should also make sure that the used protocol is supported on your end (e.g. PPTP, IPSec, L2TP).

As Hovsep pointed out this is mostly the case for business routers but you may also be able to get a less expensive device which supports DD-WRT or is running some Linux firmware which allows you to install third-party software e.g. OpenVPN.

The setup differs greatly with business class routers but it's usually manageable following the manual.