Can I run multiple speakers on the same channel?

Chris Clark May 18, 2012

I’m wondering if you can run multiple sets of speakers from the same channel?

I want to add some additional outside speakers to my home system and I already have the wires running through a speaker selector. What I was thinking of doing was adding 2 more speakers to the current channel that is running my existing speakers outside.

But I’m worried that I’m going to blow my speaker selector or receiver? Or can I add a second speaker selector to the outside channel line from the first speaker selector and then run the second set of speakers and the existing speaker off of that second selector?

I’m trying to do this without having to wire a new line outside, so want to use the existing line and don’t want to loss too much performance. Thanks.

1. DalSan Mack

Actually, you can if you do a parallel/series setup. Here is a forum on the subject: and here is the schematics for the different setups:

I have done similar setups before, even with car stereo equipment inside my home. I wouldn't go overboard with the speaker setup, but it looks like you wouldn't be doing so. You can use the existing line, just make sure that the wires from the 1st speaker and other speakers are set up properly to ensure the right impedence level of 8 ohms.

Puting a second set of speakers on the same line will alter the impedance of the circuit. For example, if you have a pair of 4 ohm speakers on a circuit and you add a second pair or 4 ohm speakers to that circuit, you have an effective impedance of 2 ohms. Because of this, it is possible that you can blow out all of your speakers. You will also notice a significant degradation of performance from those speakerrs. That is why you need to use impedance matching when pairing a receiver or amplifier with your speakers.

If you are looking at only running one set of speakers at a time, utilizing a second speaker selector would be the best route to follow. If the selector allows running multiple sets of speakers at the same time, it should have circuitry that will handle the impedance matching issue built into it.

• Laga Mahesa

Thanks for that, Bruce, it's something I've been wanting to know for a while too. Scratch item #8926 off my FindOut list!