Can I remove the Android boot and shutdown animations safely?
Question by 1hegame /

I have rooted my phone and I can see them in system folder. I want to delete them mainly to increase my phone’s internal memory. They are a good 8 MB in size. I want to know can I remove them safely? Isn’t there will be any consequences then? Thanks for any help.

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged .
Android Tips, Issues & Apps
Android Tips, Issues & Apps
Android Rooting & ROMs
Android Rooting & ROMs
Android Phones & Hardware
Android Phones & Hardware

• Nevzat Akkaya

You can also use Rom Toolbox Lite to manage the animations. It's free and reliable. It just requires bieng root but you said you have, so go for it. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrummy.liberty.toolbox

• Ramandeep Singh

Under its description, it's nowhere written that it can disable or delete boot/shutdown animations. BTW that seems a great tool. Thanks for recommending.

• Nevzat Akkaya

Rom Toolbox can disable boot animations, it's under options. You can also change the animation within the program among 300+ animation list, if you choose an animation that is smaller than the one currently installed on your phone, you can spare some megabytes :)

• Ramandeep Singh

Yeah I'll try it if I need to as now I've found link2sd. It's a magic which can make a big increase in your internal memory.

• Nevzat Akkaya

Before you go that route, make sure you have full backups. Such utilities can cause bootloops, you may not be able to boot anymore, if something goes wrong. Good luck.

Disable Boot Animation?
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1496837
    go into /system/media/ find bootanimation.zip if exist rename it to bootanimation.zip.bak

depending on rom there should be Disable Boot Animations option.

disable shutdown animation?
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1277650
    /system/media/video/shutdown rename to shutdown.back
    If it's not there, check /system/customize/resource/ or /data/local/

safely well depends on phone and rom, do it on your own risk

• Ramandeep Singh

I just have default OS as given to me by manufacturer i.e. 2.3 Gingerbread.

some roms have in settings enable/disable animations, check there.
      better will be if you first rooted the phone and then use root explorer
      you can do this at your own risk!

• Night Lithium

It depends on what you mean by "safely". If you mean "with no risk whatsoever", then no, but if you mean, "is altering the animations known to cause problems" then don't worry, it's a simple process. You can simply overwrite the files with blank versions, same extensions & header data, and as a result they will have a considerably smaller file size (say, 100kb). Hope that helped.

• Ramandeep Singh

In my system/media folder I have two zip folders: bootanimation.zip (4.73 MB) and shutdownanimatioin.zip (4.73 MB). Inside them are just png images and another folder with a single image. I think I can just delete them but as read on first link provided by ha14 one said phone may not boot at all. Though I strongly disagree but still prevention is better.
      ----
      This comment may be displaying my name as1hegame but I'm the same person. This is just how MUO put my names.

• Night Lithium

Nevzat Akkaya has by far the best suggestion, ROM Toolbox Lite is a great piece of software and you'll probably end up using it for other optimizations over time anyways, plus it's probably the single easiest way to disable boot and shutdown animations, I tried it out myself earlier today and it worked flawlessly.

I definitely recommend his solution over mine, that was a great suggestion.