Can I remotely control any smart TVs using screen sharing software?

Joseph Videtto February 22, 2013

Hi – I’m about to buy a new smart TV for my 75 year-old mom. She can send an email, after taking computer lessons for 1 year at her local senior center. She learned to do this on Gmail – and every time they change the location and position of buttons, she is out-of-business for many months until she can learn the new button locations.

My mom needs a new TV, and she would be very happy with a regular old tube TV. But I see this as an opportunity to help her navigate and discover new TV and movies on her cable, or on Netflix, Hulu, etc. She is definitely not┬ácapable of controlling the remote and the navigation required to operate a smart TV menu. But I am capable of doing this – trouble is, we live about 10 miles apart from each other.

I’m looking for the easiest way to navigate a smart TV in my mother’s house, from my house 10 miles away, without having her TV hooked up to a computer. Her TV has to of course be restored to it’s simple state after watching a show I have set up for her.

Is this possible – can anyone suggest how it might be done ? Has anyone ever tried it ? I realize that smart TVs are in the early stages – but now we can start trying some new fun stuff with them.

1. Dhaval Patel

yes, read the manufacturer manual

You could connect the TV to Wi-Fi or LAN cable.

A tip for buying such a TV is to get a popular brand like Samsung Smart TV or there are some Android OS Smart TV which supports Android apps.

Have a look at the app - Smart TV Remote Tab -

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adi.remote&feature=more_from_developer

which do says that it works with LAN and has good ratings.

Many smart TVs come with in-built browser,so you can use teamviewer to remotely control it -

http://www.qlickcafe.com/blogs/qlick-solutions/teamviewer-6-how-to-connect-to-your-remote-desktop-using-a-browser/