Can I record YouTube videos with a camera that uses tape?
Question by Bob Drake /

I have an older Sony Digital Video 8 camera. This camera records onto tape. Is it possible to do a YouTube video using this camera?

• alton pettigrew

If your camcorder is truly a Sony Digital8 camcorder, you are halfway there. The Digital8 format records and outputs the same format as DV tape, so it’s already digital. All you will need then to transfer it is a Firewire connection to your computer and a program to do the capture. Just about any commercial video editor will have the ability to capture video from a Firewire connection. The good news is that an analog 8mm tape played in the Digital8 camcorder will be digitized in the camcorder and output in DV format as well. If you don’t have a Firewire connection on your computer, internal Firewire cards are usually pretty cheap…

• Anish Parameshwaran

I used something like this – (only problem is that you can’t use it on Vista 64-bit). From here, you’ll be able to get an AVI or MOV format (or any other format you want) and then you can simply upload the file to YouTube. I would recommend using this only to preserve old tapes that are getting worn out. I would advise against using this method to record new video as the camera most likely has poor video quality – your smartphone or even non-smartphone camera can most likely record better quality videos.

• Achraf Almouloudi

Yes and no, let me explain it :

Yes if you currently have some tapes you can use a capture card to convert to to a digital format and you’ll be able to upload your content to Youtube or anywhere else.

No, if you plan to start using your Sony Digital Video 8 to record new videos and convert them so they’ll work on a computer because the generated video quality isn’t really appreciated, the conversion process takes time, and because you can get a good digital 720p video camera for around $100 so why not get one.

The video quality is so terrible that most Youtube users won’t even bother to watch it.

• David

The other day i found a VCR to PC converter..That works but the file is huge!

• Oron Joffe

Bob, you certainly can, but as others have already pointed out, you will need a capture card (or an external USB-based one), and the quality will not be great. Depending on the type of videos you are planning to make, could you get a web cam instead? This would be a simpler solution and may give you a better end result at a lower cost!

• william armstrong

it is possible to do it with a vcr that has line out/line in inputs what is all it needs a capture card

• Sebastian Short

Without means of converting the tape to digital format (you may have this or have a camera shop near you that does this) you won’t be able to upload the file to youtube. In my opinion, you’d be better of investing in a cheap digital camera, small simple ones aren’t too expensive these days!

• Macwitty

I don’t know if you ask if the camera is good enough or how to get the video from the camera to YouTube. First, your camera is okay. Use it as long as it lives. Then if you have transfered videos from the camera to your computer before then you know how to do it and have the cable. If not, take a look in the manual or check out the video Alan Wade posted. Then, from the file to YouTube, read what YouTube saus is the best settings and use it.

• Alan Wade

Here’s a YouTube vid showing you just how to transfer your video’s on to computer: