Can I receive a virus from a Google Docs spreadsheet?

sands in my boots November 29, 2012

I found a tip from techawakening.org about how to forward multiple gmail messages. It requires making a copy of their Google Spreadsheet onto my account. I wanna make sure that they don’t have some kind of spyware embedded in that file.

Also their solution only works for your 50 most recent messages. Anyone has a better solution for older emails?

Here it is:

How to Forward Multiple Emails at Once in Gmail using Google Docs

1. Rohit Jhawer

i dont think so. Google scans for all the documents before you download them. but there are many spam sites which will look like google docs but they are not. always check the website url before downloading from a 3rd party source.

2. Nicola De Ieso

I don't think so if there is this possibility or not.

3. Réy Aétar

no you cant google docs wont allow you to upload such spread sheets

4. Douglas Mutay

Yes! a spreadsheet can contain a macro virus. And if it's in google doc and you're only using it online you're secured. As for your other question. I don't personally have an answer.

5. Arun Singh

Yes Spreadsheets can have virus that is called as Macros virus but when you copy any spreadsheet in Google docs the Google system or google antivirus scan that spreadsheet so you and your Google docs account is safe and secure.

So go on copy the spreadsheet and do your work.

6. Md Nur-Un-Nabi Tutul

I guess you got the answer from the previous users.....so try to have a security system which has got site advisor ..

7. Vinicius Cardoso

The recipe is very simple. Install any antivirus, do not go to suspicious sites. and then these issues would not arise.

• Alan Wade

@Vinicius

Ahh the commen sense approach, I like it!
      The only thing I would add is to install W.O.T. (Web Of Trust) and follow its site guide.

8. Lisa Santika Onggrid

It's possible, but as long as you keep it online then you should have no problem. Is that site trustable? If yes then you shouldn't worry so much.

9. Abba Jee

the question if it's possible yes it is, but as long as your just reading it online i think it's not possible, though if you download it into your computer for offline use , open it from your local disk yes its possible ( in case it was injected with a spyware or trojan )

10. Rakesh Mishra

i dont think so as google is very secure but always u can use a best antivirus

I don't think so unless you downloaded a virus that has been made to look like a spreadsheet.