Can I play movies on my LG smart TV 47LM6400 from my USB 3.0 hard drive?
Question by Anonymous /

Is it possible to play movies sitting on my Seagate (Expansion 1TB External USB 3.0) portable hard drive on to my LG smart TV 47LM6400 that has USB 2.0 Port?

• Tim B

I have one of these TVs (well I think I do, the model number is dazzlingly long and I can’t really be bothered to check) but if it’s recent then yes, USB drives formatted to NTFS/FAT(32) will work just fine, though HFS+/EXT3 Linux/Mac drives won’t.

I used to find the “smart” features on my LG TV pretty dumb, but thanks to a few firmware updates (you know, a few 500MB downloads… for your telly) fixed that and even YouTube streaming is pretty damn stable now. Never could have used it for this sort of stuff a year ago, put it that way.

I find the best ways of watching movies and other file-based media on my PC is using a UPnP/DLNA streamer over the network. I use TVMOBiLi (I got it for free while I still could, I think they charge now) but others like PS3 Media Streamer etc should work just fine too. Leave the client running on your main computer and access the streams as if it were another input device. Provided your network hardware is up to the task, it’s the best way to do it!

• Suresh V

Thanks for the replies..to be specific I’m more worried about
    what file system my External Hard disk should has to be communicated and played on my TV?
    Simply connection my External HDD via USB to my TV make movies play automatically ?

check my first answer , Use only USB storage devices formatted with FAT32 or NTFS File System
      provided by Windows.
      concerning videos:
      1) Maximum: 1920 x 1080 @30p
      2) filetype: .asf, .wmv, .divx, .avi , .mp4, .m4v, .mov, .mkv, .vob, .mpg, .mpeg

this is what i gathered from the owner manual.
    http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-47LM6400#
    Use an extension cable that supports USB 2.0 if the USB cable or USB memory stick does not fit
    into your TV’s USB port. Connect various external devices to the TV and switch input modes to select an external device. Available external devices are: HD receivers, DVD players, VCRs, audio systems, USB storage devices, PC,
    gaming devices, and other external devices. Connect a USB storage device such as a USB flash memory, external hard drive, or a USB memory card reader to the TV and access the Smart Share menu to use various multimedia files.

1) Playback of video files stored on the USB device that do not support High
    Speed, may not work properly.
    2) Use only USB storage devices formatted with FAT32 or NTFS File System
    provided by Windows.
    3) For external USB HDD, it is recommended to use device rated at 5V and less
    than 500 mA rated current.
    4) It is recommended to use a USB hub or hard disk drive with power supplied.
    (If the power supplied is not enough, the USB storage device may not be
    detected properly.)
    5) It is recommended to use USB Memory Stick with 32 GB or less and USB HDD
    with 2 TB or less.

now for your real question, USB 3.0 is backward compatible USB 2.0, so it should connect (if not use a usb extension cable), if the movies will play this depends on your TV.

• Oron J

According to the user guide (p. 29), you can “Connect a USB storage device such as a USB flash memory, external hard drive, or a USB memory card reader to the TV and access the Smart Share menu to use various multimedia files.”
    So, the answer is yes, you can. The fact that your external drive is USB 3.0 is not a problem (it will simply communicate at the slower, USB 2.0 speed with your TV).