Can I play games over LAN without a router?

Bobby Eischen March 6, 2013

I have a computer-to-computer LAN cable that I want to use to connect my laptop and desktop (with no WiFi connect-ability) together in a private network (and maybe add another laptop in the future wirelessly to the network) with my laptop being the “manager” of the network (meaning it does the job of a router and the network won’t function when my laptop is shut down) The reason I want to do this is to be able to play multiplayer games with my siblings all linked together.

Is it possible to have one host connect one computer thought a wired connection and another with WIFI (or just one computer connected to a laptop though a wired connection) without a router without limiting the file sharing being limited to just passing Microsoft word documents together?

Would it also be possible to maybe connect the desk top to the internet through my laptop? keeping in mind that the internet on my laptop is received though my parent’s network.

1. Nitesh Badala

yes you can play by making your own network (hot spot).

2. Jan Fritsch

I assume the internet on your laptop is via WiFi? In that case it could proof complicated. In Order to share WiFi internet to other wireless connected devices you need to setup a virtual access point e.g. using Virtual Router or Connectify. However, this could conflict with the way Internet Connection Sharing is working.You may have to setup the wired network manually using static IP addresses, and manually enabling routing for the Ethernet connection.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/how-to-assign-a-static-ip-address-in-xp-vista-or-windows-7/
    http://www.wikihow.com/Enable-IP-Routing

You can do what you describe in the first paragraph (and asked in the second). It is called dual-homing or multi-homing a device (the "manager" laptop). What you are doing here is turning your laptop into a router.

For your last quations, it is a matter of configuring Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on your laptop to enable your desktop to use the internet via your laptop. Windows has a wizard to help you set it up.

• justinpot

Bruce's input here is great. I've personally found that problems almost always come up while trying to do this, but it is possible so just keep trying.