Can I play games over LAN without a router?

Bobby Eischen March 6, 2013

I have a computer-to-computer LAN cable that I want to use to connect my laptop and desktop (with no WiFi connect-ability) together in a private network (and maybe add another laptop in the future wirelessly to the network) with my laptop being the “manager” of the network (meaning it does the job of a router and the network won’t function when my laptop is shut down) The reason I want to do this is to be able to play multiplayer games with my siblings all linked together.

Is it possible to have one host connect one computer thought a wired connection and another with WIFI (or just one computer connected to a laptop though a wired connection) without a router without limiting the file sharing being limited to just passing Microsoft word documents together?

Would it also be possible to maybe connect the desk top to the internet through my laptop? keeping in mind that the internet on my laptop is received though my parent’s network.