Can I make an effective database for collectables with WordPress?
Question by Joe Dubh-Glas /

Hello folks,

I’m looking to build a database of collectables for my website. I’ve been looking around at various database software but everything I found was VERY expensive. Of late I’ve been thinking of creating a Wiki and simply linking the existing site to that. However, I just read the “Make A Product Review Database With WordPress” article and that looks interesting, however, I’m not sure if it would be flexable enough for what I’m after. Basically, the proposed database would need the following:

• Be easily searchable (a tag structure would be great)
  • Be able to have categories and sub-categories
  • Be able to show images
  • Easily editable

While I’m not hugely experienced with coding I can manage Wikis and basic WordPress stuff. The DB wouldn’t HAVE to fully integrate with WordPress (like the Wiki idea) but if so that would be nice. Any suggestions for either solution?

Thanks in advance.

• muotechguy

Hi Joe. I wrote that article, and the concepts mentioned will indeed do everything you’ve asked for. You simply tell the custom post type to support a new kind of taxonomy (like tags, or categories – guide here:, and they are searchable, editable, and can include images just as regular posts do.

• Joe Dubh-Glas

Thanks. However, I just realised that if you searched, say, “collectable cards” then ANY results for those would come up, including news posts with those tags. So, you’d have to develop a whole new tag system for your DB which wouldn’t be apparent for users.

Search results will display whatever you want them to display; you can customize the search query, and edit search.php (I think, been a while since I messed with that). Just google “custom search query”. You could make one search box for regualr posts, and one for custom posts, if you like.

As for a tag system – yes – you will need to create what is called a “custom taxonomy”. It’s just a separate tag system, and pretty easy to implement. Lot of tutorials around for custom taxonomies.

• Joe Dubh-Glas

Ok, hit the first snag. I’ve no idea who to get the code you link to into a new plugin. 0_0

It’s not a plugin – you hardcode it to your functions.php theme file.

• Joe Dubh-Glas

Sorry, there was more to that reply, but it vanished. Anyway, thanks for the help is basically what it said. So….thanks! ^_^

• Aditya Bhat

word page sucks
    i use
    it is a free blog from google
    make money and enjoy!