Can I load Office on a USB stick to install it on my netbook?
Question by Michael H /

This has worked a treat for my Toshiba netbook. Is it possible to do the same with Office? As in loading it to USB and installing it to the unit? And can I load it on to the same USB? I have used a 16GB stick for the boot unit.

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , , , .
Windows Hacks & Customization
Windows Hacks & Customization
Windows_10
Windows_10
Windows Troubleshooting
Windows Troubleshooting
Best Windows Software
Best Windows Software
Mac OS X & Software
Mac OS X & Software
Mac Switchers
Mac Switchers

• Tsf O

YES! But make sure your flash drive Is big enough to handle the load of information going on to it. Not that hard at all, really.

• Oron J

If you simply want to install from a USB drive instead of from CD/DVD, all you need to do is copy the contents of the optical disc to a USB drive. The installer doesn’t mind what _kind_ of drive it’s running from. If you want to incorporate the product code in the installation, or updates and additions, you can create an answer file or sliptream updates as Bruce suggest, but it doesn’t seem to me that this is the essence of your question.

• Bruce E

Check technet.microsoft.com for your specific version of Office. They generally have instructions and tools to do this in a manner that will also allow you to slipstream all relevant updates into your setup as well. It can save a lot of time in the long run. If they don’t have anything specific to doing this on a USB device, you can follow the instructions they have to creating a network install point on a server but you just create it on your local system, then copy the resulting folder to your USB device to have a portable installation kit with all current updates.

1) open the office dvd on your Windows
    2) Copy paste the files to a new folder created on your desktop
    3) transfer that folder to USB key
    4) You can install by clicking on the setup.exe

you should be able to use the same USB key