Can I install Windows 7 on a PC which has Ubuntu Linux pre-installed?

Vineet October 15, 2014

Hi, I am planning to buy a Dell Inspiron 3542 laptop but it has Ubuntu OS pre-installed and I don’t want to use it because I am not familiar with it. I want to use Windows 7. Is it possible to install Windows 7 in pre-installed Ubuntu OS laptop? If yes, how do I remove Ubuntu completely and install Windows 7?

1. DalSan M

Another tool that can be useful for identifying the installed hardware on the computer to make it easier to find the right drivers is Tweaking.com's Hardware Identify. It won't list the drivers that you should download, just the name and numbers associated with the hardware so you can search for the drivers. It will, however, show any installed drivers for the hardware when applicable. http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/tweaking_com_hardware_identify.html

There should be no problem. You can simply boot from the Windows 7 installation media (DVD or USB drive), wipe the disc and install.

The only possible catch is that you'll need Windows 7 drivers for the laptop. I wouldn't expect any difficulties in that area, but to be on the safe side check the Windows 7 HCL (Hardware Compatibility List) on the net and/or the list of drivers for this laptop on Dell's website.

3. Ben S

As long as you have Windows 7 installation media and a valid license key, you sure can. For example, if you go to Amazon and buy a copy of Windows 7 on a disc, simply insert that disc into your new computer, boot from it, and install Windows. It will wipe the hard drive (therefore removing Linux) and install Windows.