Can I gain extra performance by using up all the RAM in my laptop?

Dhaval Kaneriya December 13, 2012

I’ve installed 16GB RAM, 8GBx2 in my laptop.. In standby mode, it used up 2GB out of 15.9GB available.. Can I use all the RAM I have available in certain apps so that they can run faster? If so, how?

1. GamE

Apps decide how much RAM to use. You can’t do that yourself. Its just like the data you store on your Hard drive. The application decides how much space it requires at minimum and you can store only that data.
    To increase your performance, get a CPU running a faster clock or a better Graphics Card.---u can use ram memory instead of pagefile

2. Vishal Srivastava

Apps decide how much RAM to use. You can't do that yourself. Its just like the data you store on your Hard drive. The application decides how much space it requires at minimum and you can store only that data.
    To increase your performance, get a CPU running a faster clock or a better Graphics Card.

certain program can have an option on how much ram to use. Most programs are written so that they use a certain amount of ram to function. shared memory is automatically coherent if you play with it then perhaps other programs will suffer. You can change priority of process if you wish. If you have a good processor and plenty of ram then your Windows should work well, unless you have Windows problems, corruptions like .net framework...

4. Kathy Davis

I don't get your question.. can you tell me clearly..

5. Thomas Petrucha

16 GB RAM for a laptop? ... 8 will be more than enough ... what OS is running?

... but I think you can only tell the OS to use ... GB for itself and the rest will be taken by Apps/Programms.

Really Speed fpr a Laptop is the change from a hdd to an SSD ... this will increase the speed enormously ;)

I don't think it works like that. If you divert all your RAM to a specific app then how will other important ms services work? sorry for the question but i think this answers the question.

Agreed. The question is erroneous in it's assumption about the way memory works in the WIndows OS. What you've described actually is closer to the way Android uses memory.

You could, I suppose use a RAM disk of some sort and load programs from that, but that's a pretty antiquated concept.

The best way to utilize your RAM when you have a lot of it, in order to get performance increases would actually be to turn down your Virtual Memory, so that the computer uses the much slower hard drive space as little as possible. (Using some Registry hacks you can also tweak this even more.)

Also, depending on how you use Windows, you tell it to either use the processor primarily for applications or background tasks.

Both of these options are set in the Performance Options of the Advanced System Properties menu.

Additionally, you can uses sites like these to get really fancy:

http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/

http://www.speedyvista.com/windows7/services.php

I know, the BlackViper site looks incredibly cheesy and shady, but trust me, the guy knows what he's talking about.
      Nobody said smart people had to be great at web designs.
      LOL
      If I remember correctly, I believe his site also pre-dates SpeedyVista.com and I think they actually got a lot of their ideas from him.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Windows should dynamically allocate memory according to application needs. If you are asking if you can map specific memory to a particular application, no. It will allocate memory as required, no more. With 16Gb, it probably won't happen, but if your requirements exceed what is available, the excess will be swapped out in a page file (which will slow things down drastically). A good way to see this is to open Task Manager, then click the 'Performance' tab. You can then watch your memory requirements rise & fall as you start or close applications (CPU cycles, too). The 'processes' tab will show everything running, and how much they are actually using. Select Taskman by right-clicking the toolbar (Win7) or from the system page in Win8.