Can I find out what the Windows 7 admin password is without resetting it?

SHASHIMEDI2010 March 6, 2013

I am using Windows 7 in my laptop and I have forgotten the password. I want to find out the current passwordbut I don’t want to reset to another password. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance

1. Bill

Maybe they have it locked down and on a network and want local access with out the admin person knowing. Still wrong but just saying...

2. Greg Perry

Every time I see this question pop up, the first thing I think about is a stolen laptop. All thou, I have had customers buy a laptop from a pawn shop, and needed to access the admin account, but they always changed the password to something else. Kind of fishy that you don't remember it, but want to see it without changing it.

3. softwaredemons

I have used one such tool you cam download it from http://ankit123.bluesquad.revenuewire.net/sp-win-pass/Windows-Passwor/

5. yuitre

You'll need the following:
    - Ophcrack (included in Backtrack 5)
    - Rainbow tables (around 12GB)

This isn't easy to pull off as:
    - the password has to been in the range of what the tables can compute
    - You'll need a 4GB pendrive for the live OS you're using to crack the password
    - It make take quite some time and still fail

Resetting is MUCH easier, there are many ways you can do it.

What I dont understand is you want to cracK the password you have forgotten but dont want to change it. Err wont you forget it again?

• Dave Rimmer

Yea I agree Alan sounds a bit fishy to me.

• Alan Wade

It isnt rocket science that the person wants to hack someone's computer but what is strange Dave is the number of people who are willing to help them.

• Alan Wade

Yet another reply that has disappeared?????

• SHASHIMEDI2010

The password which i have forgotten don't want to change..I know how to crack the password but i wanted to know is it possible to know the forgotten password.

You can use Ophcrack to crack the LM and NTLM hashes. It has a LiveCD to simplify the process.

ophcrack is nice but it can take long time depending on the password complexity

8. Hovsep Avedissian

i think you will need to reset it.
    3 Ways to Reset Forgotten Windows Administrator Password
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-ways-to-reset-the-forgotten-windows-administrator-password/