Can I directly power an Android device by circumventing its battery?

Dr.Sunil Vaswani June 9, 2013

How can I directly power an Android device circumventing the battery? The device is: HCL ME AM7A1 Tab.

Any ideas? Or not possible?

1. Rob H

What happens if you plug in the power jack, or USB power lead? Many devices will work OK like that.
    Alternatively if the device has a removable battery you may be able to replace it with some kind of insert providing electrical power from an external source to the internal battery connection pads. That's going to be a DIY job and you need care to ensure correct voltages and polarity.

• Dr.Sunil Vaswani

Thanks!

2. Erez Zukerman

Sounds like it would be possible, but why would you want to do it? Is the battery dead?

3. Leland Whitlock

From what I could find the Tablet or phone needs more power than a USB adapter can provide. You might be able to hard-wire a variable DC power supply and adjust the voltage to match the battery. I don't know how comfortable you are with electronics but this is the best I can come up with. Just use a multimeter to figure out the battery outputs and then you can solder some leads to hook a power supply up. Just don't hold the solder iron on to long or you might ruin it. Plus if you want a battery later you may want to easily clean the solder off. See some additional thoughts below.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-transform-ultra/553060-bypass-battery.html
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/optimus-v-rooting-roms-hacks/97996-bypass-battery-screen-when-power-up-phone-without-battery.html

• Dr.Sunil Vaswani

Like how laptop's battery is removed it powers directly from source but when plugging into power source with battery intact it powers through battery ( battery gets used even though laptop is plugged into source ). So if android device's battery is removed would it power directly from source?

• Leland Whitlock

Unfortunately the charging power sources used do not provide enough power without the battery. That is why I think the only option would be to use a DC power supply hooked up to the batteries leads. The articles I linked to talked about this. This trick would be to use only the DC power supply that is hard wired to the battery ports rather than the charger as they might conflict with each other. The charging port is kind of a trickle charge. Even though the chargers are often rated for 2 amps USB ports only allow 1/2 amp max. So the tablet and phone manufacturers are doing things with the USB port they were not designed for. Using a DC power supply hooked to the battery port directly would allow for delivery of more amps as the battery can already do.

• Dr.Sunil V

That is a detailed reply