Can I copy software on a CD to a flash drive to run it?

David Ovens May 5, 2013

I don’t have a CD player on my computer. So, can I copy an app from a CD onto a flash drive and get it to run from the flash drive?

1. Dave Rimmer

You state you don;t have a CD player on your Computer so are you going to get a friend to do it, if it is an App there should not be a problem copy/paste for CD to Flash Drive.

2. yudics

yes you can, use power iso, make bootable usb, and copy cd data to bootable usb

3. Vishal Srivastava

Your answer depends on the contents of your CD. If it's media files, simple copy paste will do. If its a .iso image, it requires something like this- http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ . If its a portable app, you can run it directly.
    However, if the app is on a CD, you can't run it without a CD/DVD player and install it to a Flash Drive (Commenting this as your question was unclear).

4. Chanuka Fernando

you can just copy paste it but if u are trying to copy a bootable cd you will need to make the flash drive bootable

5. Arron Walker

The above solutions will work well, but if you don't mind installing software, it might be a bit easier to use ISO files. What you can do, is rip the data from a CD and save it as a .iso file. What you can then do, is use soemthing like http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-magicdisc-overview.htm to create a vitual CD drive. The website gives a more thorough explantion, I hope this helps

Best answer is: It depends. If it is a portable app, you can simply copy it to a flash drive and execute it from there. If it requires installation on the computer, you can copy the contents of the disk to the flash drive and run the installation from there. If it is a bootable disk, you will need to create a bootable flash drive using Unetbootin or a similar tool to use it. Other than these situations, it ends up being a crap shoot.