Can I convert a WordPress website to BlogSpot?

Msr Shepon March 10, 2013

I made a WordPress website using a free .co.cc domain. Now my website has vanished and my 2 years work wasted. But I have the hosting site, can I convert the site to BlogSpot?

1. SaapeXD MoHods

Change your domain .co.cc setting in wordpress so that you can get back the old .wordpress.com domain back! Your .co.cc domain probably expired, same thing happened to me too!

2. Nitesh Badala

yes you can easily convert but you have to choose a tool which have both facility

• Tina Sieber

And which tool do you recommend?

• Nitesh Badala

like artisteer etc available in the market for duel or upto 5 platform development.

3. muotechguy

First up: don't use a free domain next time. You get what you pay for, as you've found out.

To answer the question - no. It's impossible to import into Blogger without having access to the WordPress admin interface to first export, which you clearly no longer have. Though really, you wouldnt want to downgrade to blogger anyway - this is a domain problem, not a WordPress problem.

However, since you still have the hosting, you can simply buy a domain and reconfigure WordPress to use the new domain, by adding the following lines to your wp-config:

define('WP_HOME','http://example.com');
    define('WP_SITEURL','http://example.com');

However, the images and resource links will all point to the old domain. To fix that, you'll need to download a dump of the database from your host control panel, search and replace all instance of the old domain with the new one, then reimport the database, probably using PHPMyAdmin. This article I wrote will probably be of use: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/migrate-locally-developed-wordpress-site-live-server/

4. Mike Case

It is possible to export all of your posts, pages, comments, and such, but to do that you need to be able to log in to your dashboard.

If you have the ability to log in to your dashboard, go to Tools > Export and from there you can export an xml file of all of that content. It won't grab your media files (pictures, videos and such), but it'll get the majority of the text content. BlogSpot should let you import that xml file (I personally have never done this; I'm not a BlogSpot user).

To get your images and other uploads, you can copy over your wp-content/uploads folder to whatever new framework you go with.

Personally, however- I'd recommend exporting your posts if you have access, saving the xml file in a safe location, and re-installing WordPress. I've never been a big fan of BlogSpot's interface, and WordPress is customizable in just about any way imaginable. And either way you go, make sure you back up regularly!

5. Gaurav Joshi

I think you should go to wordpress website and export your website into xml file and import that xml file to your blogspot