Can I connect my laptop to my TV via a cable box?

Lisa Sullivan June 4, 2012

I have an HP laptop with HDMI or VGA output, television with S-Video or RCA input, and an ADB cable box with component, HDMI, and S-Video. I am trying to view movies and such (ex: Netflix) using my TVas a monitor and have been having a hard time finding a solution. Can I connect my laptop to the cable box or is there a better way to connect directly?

1. Ergo

Additionally - ''The TV Tuner devices are providing you with the ability to use your computer as a normal, fully functional TV. There are TV Tuner cards, TV Tuner USB sticks, and stand-alone TV tuners available in almost every PC shop. The TV Tuner cards are usually PCI based, and are usually installed/used mainly in desktop PCs, while the compact USB TV Tuners are the best choice for your laptop. The stand-alone TV Tuners are capable of receiving analog and digital TV signals without the need of any extra software...'' You can read the full article @

Best Regards

2. Dalsan

Sorry for the multiple posts. Using my mobile, and for some reason, the posts did not show for 24 hours. I'm not trying to be pushy, not my intention.

3. DalSan Mack

This is probably the best you can do for a decent price:

I have not tried it, but it should work fine, and there is a decent rating for this converter. For the audio, you just need the 3.5 mm to RCA cable to connect from the computer to the TV. If I ever get the extra funds I just might get this, too.

4. Justin Pot

The HDMI on the cable box is probably for output, not input. So you're going to need special hardware to do this. Unless the video card on your laptop supports it, a simple VGA to RCA cable probably won't do the trick. You need a converter box. I've looked into it before, and it wasn't an easy thing to find: because most new TVs have HDMI and VGA ports few companies find it worthwhile to make converter boxes for the old TVs.

Sorry I can't give you better news. I hope someone else offers a better answer.

the HDMI port on your laptop is an HDMI out, not an HDMI in i suppose. Therefore, the HDMI out from your cable box will not work. hdmi is digital and s-video is analog. So you would have to buy some "conversion box"

How to Hook a Laptop to a TV Using an S-Video Cable and a Cable Box

perhaps You need a TV card or dongle for your laptop, which you would then hook up to your cable box.

6. Kyem Ghosh

you can connect your laptop to your cable box using a tv tuner card. Go to the market and buy a tv tuner card according to your laptop and your cable box... You'll get it.

7. Dalsan

This should help give you a better idea:
    Getting the right settings for screen resolution to the TV is the key to successful setup, otherwise getting a converter box to connect would make it more straight forward with less settings involved. Then again, just the right cable might get the job done:

8. Jon Smith

did you try connecting it to the TV? Most TVs these days have an HDMI input

• Lisa Sullivan

I tried using a VGA to RCA cable but it didn't work (should've done my research first). The TV is not incredibly old, but it is not a flat screen.

• Kannon Y

To my knowledge, that should have worked. Is this the sort of adapter used? If so, and if you got a partial display of something, it may be an issue with finding the correct output resolution. If not (and all you got was blackness), then it may be another issue:

Another common issue is that your laptop is not automatically switching over to mirror mode. Here's a really good article on some of the issues in dealing with video output to external monitors.

An additional issue for laptops is that they don't display the correct image when they are in the wrong resolution. You have to find the right screen resolution (see above article), which makes it far more usable.

9. Dalsan