Can I configure a second mobile phone to respond to my primary number?

Joseph Videtto December 14, 2012

Currently, I use an old style (non-smart) phone that I sometimes forget to take to work with me. Is there any way to configure a second phone that will respond to the same number, assuming my ‘original’ phone is turned off?

Thanks.

1. Christine St Syr Griffin

call forwarding or google voice, good luck
    christine

2. Kulwinder Rouri
  3. Kulwinder Rouri

You can check if your service provider support Call Diverting or Call forwarding feature. With you can forward calls from one Sim Card to another, but i think both Sim Cards must be from Same Service Providers.

if your telco operator allows, then you can transfer the calls to your second phone.

It is very simple in India at-least. All telecom service providers provides call forwarding and call divert facility which we can setup.

6. Roomy Naqvy

Call forwarding /call divert would work. Then yes.

7. Saurav Azad

you could use call divert service on your first no to divert all your calls to the second phone no but the charges may be applicable

8. James Maciel

You would have to duplicate the sim card but that could cause some unwanted problems.

• Jan Fritsch

Not sure what the technically correct term is but some providers offer "Smart SIM" that give you the same number on two SIM cards. Whichever device you pick up first will get the call.

Obviously you will also have to pay some regular for the additional SIM card.

I presume a simple setup of the call forwarding / divert on the primary number should resolve the issue.

9. Tim Brookes

Joseph,

As far as I am aware there is no way to do what you want, once you switch a number from one SIM to another the previous SIM will stop working. I don't think it's possible to have a number active on two SIM cards at once. What you could do, is consider a smartphone for your next purchase and get a Google Voice number which people could contact you on. You could then set your main number to forward to Google Voice if left unanswered (i.e. isn't on you). 

Then you could take the call on your smartphone or even PC if you work in a place where you use a computer a lot of the time. 

It's not perfect, but it might work.

Good luck.

• Joseph Videtto

...actually, that's an excellent suggestion. In fact, as I thought about it, I could just buy a second phone with a 'pay for the minutes you use' plan and a second number, and simply check my mobil messages.

Am surprised with such a solution suggested as I presume a simple setup of the call forwarding / divert on the primary number should resolve the issue and it takes just 30 seconds to do it.