Can I bypass restrictions implemented on my college Wi-Fi network?

Ankur Kansagara December 7, 2012

In our college there is Wi-Fi network. We are connected to a proxy server and that proxy server is connected to firewall. Some policies are implemented on the network like download speed limits and daytime restrictions.

I would like to bypass both of these, how can i do that?

1. Joel Thomas

If you get caught you would be in serious trouble

2. Brijesh Akbari

you can do this by using some proxy software or proxy websites.

3. Nicolas De Smyter

I think most colleges will learn from their mistakes. And most of them will know which techniques can be used, and they will try to block them. So whenever you find a new way, it will probably won't be for long.

4. Declan Lopez

the restrictions are there for a reason, and if you try to bypass them there is a good chance you will get caught

5. Ahmed Musani

I suggest you dont. it can be very risky and against the college policies.

6. Scott Pickett

You might be out of luck. If your college IT department is worth a piss they know that most the smart students are going to try and navigate around their proxy. If they have installed an in-line proxy and then programmed the firewall to only allow traffic in/out of the proxy then you are SCREWED. Unless you want to undertake the process to hack their firewall. While that might be fun it would likely get you kicked out of school. It would more prudent to find a different wireless signal to compromise.... I mean utilize.

• Vishal Srivastava

Exactly the answer I'd have given you...
      Don't mess around with your college wifi if you don't want to be kicked out...

7. Felix Göhringer

ISsn't this a duplicate of question posted less than a few days ago? You must be in teh same university.

And no, you cannot break restrictions placed upon your wifi by the systems administrator. Perhaps you should considering purchasing your own internet connection or unrestricted 3G dongle. The university one is a shared resource by thousands of students, so there must be restrictions in place to prevent abuse.

9. artofprivacy

THE BACON PROXY http://open-dlp.info/

10. cuckoosnest

you can try using a web proxy like this one:
    http://open-dlp.info/

11. Abhijit Mahida

yes,you can use TOR browser,if the security is not very strong

• Iker Adil

i also used TOR ! and it work for my country ! But may not work everywhere ! You should try it

12. Alex Perkins

Good luck

13. Dimal Chandrasiri

it's cool that you want to bypass these security restrictions., but if you get caught while doing this, there will be serious issues upon your student life. I'm not that much into hacking and stuff but, as an undergraduate, I can give you a theoretical answer for this. the firewall may have rule on it for certain protocols. lets say that it limits the transfer rate on FTP protocol but give full speed on smtp or http protocol. if this is the case, you can use a method called protocol tunnelling which ill hide your actual protocol by encapsulating with another. say, you encapsulate an FTP transaction by a http protocol. in that scenario, you get the full speed of the connection while getting through the firewall.

well to bypass your proxy server use this link, I think it has some useful information.

http://nxwiki.blogspot.com/2010/05/how-to-bypass-web-filters.html#.UMIfeIPFVb0

and for the record, don't go on asking how to bypass the restrictions. just learn the techniques and try them out! :) use a simulated environment, such as a network built by your friends and try each technique! :D geeky but, gets results!

• josemon maliakal

The same method can be applied to windows too...all you have to do is download putty software and install it then change the settings accordingly

14. Kenneth Moore

Take a look at you tube. I check it out and often and do find what i was looking for. Good Luck----------- Ken

15. Âdil Farôôq

its nearly not possible to bypass from your device

There are a number of these 'Break the College' style posts. Search and browse them and you will soon realise that you wont get a lot of help in that corner if only to protect YOUR interests!

17. Tug Ricks

I'm sure it's possible, but ave you considered whether or not you should do such a thing. It's not honest.

it would be against the college policies and if you get caught then there will be serious repercussions. Best of luck with that.