Can I borrow my friend’s Windows 7 recovery disk if I no longer have access to mine?

Ashish Kumar November 13, 2012

I bought Pavillion DV6 6165TX yesterday. I was trying to install Ubuntu, but all got messed up while installing Ubuntu. Now Windows also does not boot up. It shows this message: “Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.” Unfortunately, I don’t have recovery disk. Now how to reinstall Windows 7 (Home Premium)? My friend has the same model and Windows 7 (Home Premium). Can I borrow his recovery disk? Please help me!

1. Igor Rizvi?

Yes you can borrow his and try a startup repair..i had the same problem with my girlfriends laptop,and it worked wonders! good luck

2. Joel Jacob

yes

3. Sathya Murthy

A recovery disk is unique for an installed windows. It is a backup for booting and recovering windows for a particular installation in a particular system.
    So, you cannot use the recovery disk of another installation in your system to recover and boot to windows.

4. Austen Gause

Yes you can, NO clean installs though you will lose everything you dont back up

5. N LKX

does your startup screen show a 'gnu grub error' or something like that?

6. Austin

Yes you can

7. Rich Mc.

I agree with everyone telling you to use your serial key. I would definitely try repairing your system before a clean boot.

I tried my freind's recovery cd but it shows a message "This CD is not compatible for your system"..wat to do?

• Muz RC

you should make sure the disc is same with ur operating system, u cant use recover disk home 32 bit on pro 32 bit...

8. Dimal Chandrasiri

yes! you can use the recovery disc to recover your system!

My friend's recovery disk not working in my laptop

9. Nikhil Chandak

You can definitely do that , but u will need the product key or the serial key with that

can i download window 7 from internet and use my product key to make it Genuine??..Am i right?

• Nikhil Chandak

Yea , u can also do that

10. Rakesh Mishra

u can use the recovery disc because i have use my friends disc

You could also (with his permission) make a copy of his disc so you have a recovery disc of your own for future.

My friend got afraid of distributing his disc..can i use any window 7 home premium and provide my product key while it ask for key..will it become genuine window..i am very confused..or i can get it free online..or i hp will provide it?

12. Lisa Santika Onggrid

Sure, you can. What you can't borrow is his license code.

• Douglas Mutay

I like your answer. It make the things so clear :-)

13. Douglas Mutay

Ashish, as long as you didn't erase your entire partition while you were trying Ubuntu you still can repair the boot process of your Windows 7. Just boot from the DVD of your friend and when it will ask you to start to install, choose the Repair option instead. It should take you to a process where you can restore your boot and there will no need to reinstall a clean W7. Good luck!

what if i erase my entire partition..does it mean i lost my genuine Window 7 ?

• Sean A

You haven't lost it. The only thing you have lost is your files. To install after wiping the partition you need an install disk of the version your serial is for and the serial. The installation only loses its genuity if you install it on multiple computers.

14. Boni Oloff

Yes, you can. But after finish the installation you still need the serial number you have.

If recovery partition is intact, just hit F11 after post to reinstall Windows 7 etc..

i hit F11..but it does not work..same screen comes every time..

16. Aswin Kumar K P

yes u can do that.......but enter ur serial key with that.

I lost my recovery partition..I tried to get it back by my friend's recovery cd..but those cd's are not compatible with my system..what to do get my recovery partition back?

• Qin Tang

You may think some free partition software like MiniTool, easeus to help you. Good luck.

17. dhanunjayarao chunduri

yes you can recover with your friends recovery. but you don't do a clean install with it. if you do a clean install you your's windows license will be gone.

sure you can. to try correct your problem without DVD first make sure that your boot option is on the hard drive that contains windows OS, to do this go to BIOS.