Can I access an external hard drive from my smartphone?

Aditya Salve April 7, 2013

Considering most of the smartphones have done away with memory cards, it would be great if it is possible to connect to an external hard drive for browsing some multimedia content.

There are certain other external HDDs which can be used to access files via Wi-Fi.Some of them are -

Kingston Wi Drive

My Book Live

2. Chris Stephens

If you use an OTG cable you will need a specialized app, too. Just thought I would point that out. Hope it helps.

3. vishal

yes those mobiles support otg will ablt to detect hdd.

some newer models are able to detect usb drives with special cable. don't know about hard drives. but it all depends upon the mobile device.

hardware of the phone must be made so that to support your desired feature, if not then with some driver tweak and other external extension then can be done as outlined by DalSan M.

6. DalSan M

It depends on if the phone allows for On-the-Go (OTG) connection and you have a powered USB hub. Using an OTG cable, powered USB hub, and either an external hard drive or flash drive (may not need a powered USB hub for a flash drive), you can connect and use many different devices in Android OS. In iOS, the use of a camera card reader (SD card) and other methods have been used for use ooh external media to read and write from, and even install some apps.. It may be possible in Windows Phone 8 though I'm not sure if the methods are the same.