Can I hook up a new laptop screen to display an old laptop PC’s info with a broken screen?

Anonymous February 26, 2014

I have an old Vaio laptop with a broken screen. I recently purchased a new Dell with Windows 8.

Is there anyway I can use the Dell to display for the Vaio to use the old hard drive to access spreadsheets and display them on my new Dell screen?

Please answer if very simple terms, I am not as PC savvy as I used to be. In short, can I hook up a new laptop screen to display an old laptop PC’s info with a broken screen?

You can't use it as a pure "display". In other words, you can't take the video output from the Vaio and connect it to the Dell to use it as a monitor. However, there are a few things you can do.

If all you want is to transfer the data from the old laptop to the new one, remove the hard drive from the old one (very easy) and connect it as an external hard drive to the Dell using a SATA hard drive enclosure which you can buy from ebay for a few dollars (I've bought enclosures for around $3 and they work fine).

If you want to control the Vaio from the Dell then, provided you can still use the Vaio up to a point, install TeamViewer on both machines and use it to connect them, or enable "Remote Desktop Connection" on the Vaio and run the Remote Desktop Connection client on the Dell, which will show you the Vaio's screen as a window on the Dell and allow you to control it remotely. This works quite well but there is a slight lag in activity so it's OK for ordinary use, but not for intensive graphics, watching videos etc.

You could also find useful information in the below article after you have been successful in displaying the information of your laptop in your recently purchased Dell -

Busted – How To Deal With a Broken Screen On Your Laptop

If you want to transfer files and folders from the old hard drive to the new one, you can purchase and use an SATA 2.5 inch to USB conversion cable, which requires removing the old drive from the laptop and connect it to the cable, and then to the computer. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000VS4HDM. Some of the other options would require you to blindly log into the computer with the broken screen, and then somehow connect the computer to another, something I wouldn't suggest for novice users as there may be issues or complications that are unnecessary.

Here are instructions to remove the hard drive from Sony Vaio laptops (not sure which version you have, but should be similar): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fVcdcoJpU8.

4. terry ryan

try Symantec pcAnywhere™ 12.5 Host & Remote

5. Djb T

Probably not. Very few laptops have HDMI ports that are designed to accept video input from another device. I'm not sure if Dell makes any, but if you post your full model number we can look up the specs.

Best bet is probably to remove the hard drive from your old laptop and put it in an external enclosure.