Can you help me find an old DVD burning software or freeware alternative?

Sandia911 S September 5, 2014

Hi everyone,

I am looking for software to download online that burns DVDs with video/audio downloaded from the Internet.

I know there are many programs out there however there is one (or possibly more than one now) that I used about 10 years ago. It was freeware back then and it basically stretched out the max time of the DVD beyond 2 hours.

Most blank DVDs have a 2 hour max written on the discs. However, this program (I forget the name) extended that restriction to 3 and sometimes 4 hours. When I burned these DVDs 10 years ago, about 25% of the time they failed and I had to start over with a new disc. However, it was worthwhile in the end because I managed to fit more on each disc, but the quality suffered on some of the content. Others were kept at original quality.

So, long story short, my question is: Do you remember the name of this program or any similar? In case it’s not longer a good idea to stretch DVD space and time, would you like to recommend your favorite DVD burner (freeware)?

Thank you!

Have you tried WinX DVD Author?

2. Sandia911 S

Hey guys i do not have good news to report i downloaded a few programs, AVStoDVD, DVDflick, and ConvertXtoDVD (which wasn't freeware so i uninstalled it). The first two programs encoded and authored the dvd files (Video_ts, Audio_ts) but didn't continue to burn it to the disc. It left that up to me so I just burned the 2 folders as data using windows. Of course it plays on my laptop but since the point of all of this was to watch it on television my task has failed as neither disc is playable. It shows disc error on the TV. My question is this an issue of compatibility on my player or a software issue? I used all default settings and my dvd player plays other dvds I have burned in the past using programs I have long since forgotten the names of but these recent programs have produced discs that don't work.

well it can be software problem, try to burn with imgburn
      http://www.imgburn.com/
      did you use DVD-R or another DVD type?

3. Howard B

Does it have to be DVD standard video? Most devices (DVD and Blu-Ray players) can now play back AVI, MP4, and/or MKV video from any type of media they support.

4. Sandia911 S

thanks )

Jan F is right with higher resolution videos you get more size less hours, for example 2hrs in bluray can be like 20-40GB compared to DVD5 4.7GB and DVD9 8.5GB
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD

DVDshrink
    http://www.dvdshrink.org/why_en.php

Time limit only really applies if you strictly stick to specifications for a certain format i.e. at a specific bitrate and resolution you can only fit certain amount of "time" onto the ~4.37GB a standard DVD provides.

In general it is the amount of data, the size that fits onto the media, that limits you. And in order to fit "more time" onto a DVD what the software really does is it re-encodes the data in a lower bitrate, sometimes decreased resolution, so the size gets down and fits onto the media.

So you could (make) fit 10 hours of material on a Video-DVD but it will be in a rather unpleasing quality when you watch it on your TV.

Right now I can't name you a good and reliable tool to do that ~ duo to the increased support of another file formats I usually just burn data DVDs if at all.