Can you help me create an Excel 2010 formula for displaying blank cells?

Joenewmanfisher April 15, 2014

I need an Excel 2010 formula that

1) displays whatever the value is of a given cell but
2) if there is no value there – it displays the cell as a blank (at the moment whenver I use the “=” function for a cell that is blank, I’m getting “0.0” in the cell I enter the formula in.

Say:

A1 is: 18500
A2 is: (blank)
________________________

What formula would I use in a different cell to display A1 & A2 respectively with A2 showing as a blank instead of 0.0?

@Bud is close. You should use =IF(@ISBLANK(A1),"",A1) instead. In some circumstances any other formula can return unexpected results primarily due to numerical rounding issues especially if the value in A1 is calculated and depending on the formatting of both the source and destination cells.

2. Bud I

The following in B1 and B2 will produce 18,500 and blank, respectively:
    =if(A1="","",A1)
    =if(A2="","",A2)

There are ways of displaying blank (empty) or blank (with a specific value, e.g. 0 or "") as blank. You can use conditional formatting to do this, or a formula, but I'm stumped. Why type = into the cell if it's blank? Why not just leave it empty?