Can you help me configure my DIY computer to get audio working properly?

March 7, 2014

Well I just bought a new build and everything. Everything went OK. I am having trouble trying to connect the VGA audio 3.5mm cable or figure out the set up so I will be able to use the speakers on my HDTV so I am able to stream movies, YouTube. Etc…

So this is what I have:

I do in the BIOS setup have Front Panel to HD if that helps or not.

Thank you in advance!

I entirely agree with Jan's advice. There's little point connecting your PC to an HDTV with a VGA cable.

As regards audio, try using headphones (or ordinary computer speakers if you have them) for testing purposes. Also, check the Device Manager and see if the sound driver is shown as present and working correctly, and whether there are any devices listed there that are not recognised (these are often components associated with the sound card). If sound appears to be playing, but you can't hear it with your headphones, try a different socket (the green socket should be the speaker output, but bizzarely, some PCs use different colour coding). If you can get sound with the headphones but not with the TV, check the TV inputs and also the 3.5mm extension cable. Cables don't go wrong often, but it has been known to happen!

First make sure that sound works at all e.g. plug in your earphones or headphones. If it does not work make sure the audio driver is properly installed.

Once audio is working the question probably is whether your HDTV actually has the proper input? The motherboard only has a 3,5 stereo jack which you rarely find on HDTV or other receivers. You might have to use a 3,5 female to 2xRCA splitter.
    http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-Female-Y-Cable-6-Inch/dp/B000I23TTE

Last but not least you should consider using DVI instead of VGA. VGA is an analog signal and the higher the resolution of the HDTV the lower the quality you get over it. With DVI you could go straight from DVI to HDMI and get a full quality digital signal on your TV.

• James B

Thats not going to work: DVI doesn't carry audio. If he converted from DVI to HDMI, the HDMI would expect audio. By using the VGA cable, he can also use the audio input port that comes with "PC Input" channel. Most TV that have PC input (i.e., VGA) will also have 3.5mm jack input.

Op: it would be more useful to know your model of TV, actually. Your PC case and VGA cable are irrelevant.

• Jan F

Yes, DVI does not carry audio and he would have to use the appropriate cable to hook it up, just like he does with VGA. But it's perfectly fine to go from DVI to HDMI and supply audio e.g. via the headphone output from the computer.

HDMI does not "expect" audio, regardless of the source. It is capable to transport and receive audio along the video depending on the specification. If your HDMI input "forces" you to use e.g. audio via HDMI or SPDIF (e.g. you cannot select another audio input) then it simply is a limitation of the device, not the connectors used.