How can I get Youtube JukeBox to always play videos at the highest resolution?

Alex June 26, 2014

I was watching a video on YouTube Jukebox and I noticed that it wasn’t playing in HD automatically. When I set it to play in HD, it stayed in that quality until the next video began. When that happened, it reverted back to SD, which I found to be very frustrating.

The only way to make all videos play in HD sequentially is by playing them in full screen without exiting. If I were to exit, the next video will play in SD until I play it in full screen again. Unfortunately, I’m not the type of guy who likes to keep my eyes glued to the video 100% of the time. For instance, when someone emails me or messages me on Facebook or Skype, I usually prefer to keep the video playing in the background (in HD) while I read the email or message, and later respond to it. Because of my bizarre style of watching videos, the videos do play in the background, and they do in HD as well, but once another video comes up in the playlist, and I’m still busy doing something else on my laptop and not devoting my full attention to the video as a result, it will play in HD.

One other thing I noticed was that even if you play all videos in full screen without leaving, it doesn’t guarantee maximum playback quality for all videos. For example, if there is one video that plays at a maximum quality of 720p, followed by another video that plays at a max of 480p, followed by another 720p, that third video will play in 480p automatically because it seems to think that I set the previous video 480p, when in reality it set itself to 480p automatically because that was the highest resolution available.This only happens sometimes, and at others the third video would play in 720p as well because it knows that it’s playing in full screen.

I have tried a Chrome app called YouTube Actions, but it seems to only work on YouTube and not YouTube Jukebox. Thank you for all your help and expertise in solving this type of issue.

By "Jukebox" do you mean the playlist facility? If so, go into your Youtube settings, click "Playback" on the left and tick both "Always choose the best quality for my connection and player size" and "Always play HD on full screen (when available)".

This does not guarantee that you'll get HD when you're not playing at full size, but in practice that's what will usually happen.