How can I get my webcam working again in my HP Pavilion laptop?

Anonymous March 30, 2014

I recently installed a new hard drive and now I can’t find the link to open the webcam.

It was missing in “device manager” last night but it IS listed in the “device manager’ now – after a long process of trying to download software from HP last night.

When I go to the “start” button and try to find a way to use the webcam there is no web cam listed.

I go to START, HP folder, Hp media smart and then click on media smart and nothing happens.

I have tried updating HP and updating Windows.  Any suggestions?  At this point I have NO IDEA what to even look for.

HP did NOT include a disk when I bought the laptop 3 years ago so everything must come from searching online and downloading. I just have no clue what I am even trying to look for now.

I’m using an HP Pavilion dv6 3250us Notebook Entertainment PC Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thank you!!

1. Blonde C

SOLVED!!!

HP Pavilion dv6-3250us Entertainment Notebook PC support
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=5052114
    It sounds like they didn't install Windows from a set of recovery disks, maybe you need the recovery cd

Try this new tool to find the information you need about the camera. (Hardware Identify) http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/tweaking_com_hardware_identify.html. Once you have the information, you can then search for the drivers that support it, or post the information here for us to find it for you. The tool is very new and still a work in progress, but it is a very handy tool that many of us have been waiting for a long time to have.

• Blonde C

thank you...but i solved the problem myself before the question was even posted by the web host. I posted it above your response...thank you :)

• Dalsan M

Thank you for posting the crazy answer as most people would not know that the left Windows button on the keyboard would have been the issue. Cheers!

4. Blonde C

I actually found my own answer hours before this site even published my question.
    I was reading everything I could on this issue (and there's a lot of people with this issue).
    One blog mentioned that windows has a webcam ON and OFF button and if you happen to hit that button,
    the computer will not recognize that you even have a webcam. They said it's usually the "F4" button or one of those across the top of the keyboard. Mine has something on the F4 that looks like a tv screen....but it didn't change the webcam issue. I found on MY computer that button is the one with the "WINDOWS" SYMBOL on it...the button next to the "alt" button on the left side of the "space bar". It should be a picture of a WEBCAM!!! It wouldn't have taken me TWO DAYS to figure this out after multiple attempts at downloads that obviously did nothing to clear up the 'missing" webcam issue.

I sure hope this helps someone else out... if it does...pay it forward! Donate to http://www.raisinguphope.org if you're so inclined. They actually get what you give!! I have a friend who sponsors 13 kids thru there and goes to visit them. They do what they say they do! I'd never give to the red cross....you're just lining the pockets of the CEO. Peace.

thanks for your feedback and solution, glad was an easy one and did not cause problems. If you want you can mark the thread as solved from your Makeuseof account.