How can I get videos on Google Drive to play in HD by default?

Cristián T June 5, 2014

I have videos on Google Drive in 720p HD and I was hoping that someone could tell me how to make the quality set to HD automatically, since whenever I open a video on Google Drive, the quality is at 480p. Because of this, I was curious to find out if there are any possible ways to allow Google Drive to load videos in full HD automatically instead of having me change the quality manually? Thanks.

I can confirm that there's no solution to this. It's an issue with the Google Drive app, which apparently defaults to its own video player. It's a pretty huge flaw.

I don't think there's any cloud storage app that can use Google Drive as its backbone. If one exists, then you can then play videos by default using a third party video player, like VLC or perhaps MX Player. Right now, the only workaround is to use a could storage solution other than Google Drive. I would suggest Box, SugarSync, Dropbox or Microsoft's cloud storage.

Sorry about that. In my opinion, Google Drive is overly restrictive anywhere. I would normally prefer Dropbox, but because of the NSA spying scandal and their bizarre politics, I'm trying to migrate to another service.

• Cristián T

Alright. I guess there is no way to do what I am trying to do through Google Drive. I appreciate the help.

Google Drive and HD Videos [720p and 1080p]
    https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/drive/SJRQJzHyHis

• Cristián T

First off, this person is asking a completely different question. He can't find the option to play HD. Period. I can't find the option to play HD automatically. "Automatically" is the keyword there.

Second, I don't know if you looked very carefully at the thread, but it has no answers. Just a little something I picked up on that you seem to have overlooked.