How can I get my Sony Vaio’s webcam working again?

Sarvesh October 14, 2014

Hi all,

I am using Sony Vaio VPCEH36EN model running Win 8.1 64-bit. Although it came with a Win 7 Pro, I upgraded it to 8.1 six months back. However my webcam hasn’t worked for past 2 days. I haven’t installed any additional software or driver that could cause this. I have been using this laptop for 3 years now.  I tried uninstalling the Sony Visual camera from the device manager. Also re-installing the image driver.  When I go through the start>>camera it just starts the application with a black screen.  When I use applications such as Skype, it doesn’t start as well.

Suggestions please !!! Thanks :) :)

1. sarvesh

Thanks a lot fr ur replies guyz. As far as an update is concerned, i did chck every work around thru device manager.. but if you mean i should run a windows 7 hw driver than that i haven't tried. But will definitly give it a try once. Also is there any particular reason why this happens with a vaio and win 8 combo...went thru many posts referring the same.. Thanks again

• DalSan M

The drivers for Windows 7 aren't compatible with Windows 8, and Sony does not offer any fixes or updates for older hardware, even if it isn't that old. This issue doesn't only apply to Sony, but for a few other brands, as well. About the only other advice I can offer would be to use Tweaking.com's Hardware Identify to see if your webcam is listed with the specific information needed to search for the right driver. http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/tweaking_com_hardware_identify.html

Before you update the drive, have a look at the date of the existing driver and, if you find it was updated recently, try rolling back to the previous version!
    To find the date and version of the driver, run Device Manager, find the camera driver and double click on it. The details will be shown there and the options to roll back & update are also in that window.