How can I get the right graphics drivers installed in Windows 7?

Piyush A February 12, 2014

I bought an HP pavilion g6 2201ax notebook an year ago, which came with windows 8. I have now  installed Windows 7 on it and I am facing a problem regarding graphics. DXDiag shows the chipset of AMD atombios but in Monitor it shows Generic PnP monitor and the driver shows VGA. Now the problem is I am experiencing poor graphics while watching HD movies and I cannot run many games without that. Please provide me with the solution.

1. Daniel V

Try going to the AMD website, and there should be a driver scan available. This will show if your drivers are up-to-date, or if they're outdated. Hope this helps.

LINK: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

According to the specifications the notebook has a AMD Radeon HD 7670M graphics card.
    You can get the driver in the AMD download section.
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

For the monitor it is quite normal that it is only detected as Generic PnP monitor. This usually doesn't have any effect on it's performance.

Some manufacturers do offer drivers for their monitors e.g. Samsung but they usually just install custom color profile (which often looks worse than the default) and on occasion allow you to control gamma, brightness, colors using your keyboard and/or mouse instead of the physical buttons on the monitor.

HP model names vary greatly from one country to another, and your model is not available in the UK, so I can't give you specific addresses to go to. However, the process should be:

- Go to the HP Support site for your country (just google "HP support" and pick one of the top items).
    - You can either search for your laptop by model, or better yet, click the "Detect my Product" button. This will take you to a page specific to your laptop.
    - Look through the list of drivers. If you can find a graphics (may also be called VGA or video) for your version of Windows 7 (i.e. 32 bit or 64 bit), download it and use it. Ditto for the screen. If there are only Windows 8 drivers available, you're out of luck.