How can I get reliable WiFi reception in my all-metal RV from the RV park’s access point?

James Parmenter November 2, 2014

I live full-time in an RV with all Metal construction, not able to receive free WiFi from RV-Park, inside the RV. I use a USB wifi adapter on extension cable outside (it’s in a plastic-bottle, weather protection). My reception is excellent. I need to connect the WiFi signal to my Linksys WRT54GL -DD-WRT-14929-flashed Router, via Ethernet port & Cat.5e cable so I can use my IP Surveillance Camera.

I’ve been experimenting with this for over a month. I’m new to dd-wrt, read all the options, forums, Google searches etc, none of which applied in my unique situation. Most setups require 2 routers… I’ve also tried ICS, Bridges, APs, Ad-Hocs etc. The router sees the camera but there’s no internet access for the Camera. I just want to send myself an email if the camera is triggered in motion detection while I’m out shopping or sight seeing…. My main problem is the WiFi is dropping DNS about every 15 minutes while connected, I have to re-boot the router, flush DNS or reboot PC. Yeah, it keeps me busy…but now I’m getting frustrated with it… I need a solution PLEASE?

1. James L Parmenter

Thank you, I'll consider the project, I'm a bit worried about weather-proofing...?
    James..

2. Will Knot

here is how I do it. I station the receiver on my roof on in a nearby tree

http://www.instructables.com/id/Wifi-Receiver-Extender-WRE/