How can I get Internet connectivity with my router when it works without it?

June 8, 2014

My Internet connection won’t work when I connect the modem through the router but when I connect it directly from modem to the CPU, it works perfectly. This unfortunate event started when I reset my modem because my Internet speed is slow.  After resetting it my internet connection won’t work with router. I already search some solutions on the internet but still, the problem persists. I already tried power cycling, resetting my modem and router again and I already reconfigure my router but nothing happens. Please help me.

Summary of the problem:

Modem-CPU=works perfectly

Modem-router-CPU= no internet connection (“Connection between your access point, router, or cable modem and the internet is broken”)

I was talking about the outside interface, not interference. A router will have at least 2 interfaces - one facing your internal network and the other facing the outside world. Your router's firmware will likely refer to these settings as LAN and WAN, respectively. What I am looking for here are problems with the configuration of the outside interface of your router and the internal interface of the modem. I have seen some DSL/cable modems (vs routers) that don't have a DHCP server running for the internal interface and your router is likely to be expecting to get DHCP configuration information from the modem for the outside interface. I want to know if we need to hardcode the settings into your router.

For example, your modem keeps the IP address of 192.168.0.1 (common for the internal interface of most broadband modems) and isn't running DHCP. Your router, expecting to get DHCP allocation, will initially just be broadcasting on the local network segment with only 2 nodes - the router itself and the modem. When it doesn't get an allocation, it will either not set a default configuration or it may be setting one that puts it on "different" network than the modem so that packets that are destined for the Internet are not pushed out to the modem's address which would have been set by DHCP as the default gateway.

Don't confuse the DHCP server in your router with the one (possibly) in the modem. They are serving different clients. The one in the modem would only serve a single client - your router. The router would be serving all other computers that are connecting to your network.

So, by looking at what your computer's network adapter settings are when it is directly connected to the modem and comparing to what your router's WAN or outside interface settings are when it is in place, we can see if it is configured to communicate properly with the modem. If it isn't, we can manually change the WAN settings on the router to deal with the situation. Hopefully, that is all that will be needed. In some cases with DSL service, you may need to configure PPoE settings to get your router to talk to the modem. I'm hoping to avoid that.

Well, you can configure your router, so packets are making it that far. Check your router's configuration on the outside interface. Then reconnect your computer directly to the modem and make sure you can access the Internet. Check your computer's network settings and compare to what the router's outside interface had. What are the differences? Put the router back in place and make sure all of the settings are identical.

Ah, crap!

When you initially set up the modem, was it directly connected to the computer or was there a router between the two?

Also, what is the make and model of your router? Is it running the latest firmware? I have a Belkin N750 router that wouldn't connect to my cable modem after the latest firmware was installed for full IPv6 functionality and to fix an issue regarding sharing printers via the USB port. I had to revert to the previous version to get it to work again.

• Edmark G

When you say outside interference, does it mean another computer?

When I initially setup the modem, it has no router because I'm only paying for the DSL without Wi-Fi and I just purchase a router to setup my own Wi-Fi without the knowledge of my ISP.

My router's model is not an international brand, it's just a local brand here from Philippines. you can view my router's details here: http://goo.gl/iqchdR

Thanks :)

Have you called your ISP? Every ISP (and router) may require different settings and it's difficult to give you a one-size-fits-all answer.

Depending on your modem and ISP, you may need to reconfigure your router to spoof your computer's MAC address. How to do this will vary depending on the make, model and firmware revision of the router.

• Edmark G

I already cloned my computer's MAC Address but the problem is still there... Any suggestions?