How can I get my HP Deskjet F370 printer to print again?

Suvadeep P July 6, 2014

Hello,

I am having some problems with my printer which is a HP Deskjet F370 All-in-One. It requires two cartridges: a) 21 Black and b) 22 Tri Color. I don’t generally use refilled cartridges, but as the price of 21 and 22 has gone up in India it has become very expensive to print. Therefore, I changed the 21 black cartridges and used 21b black from HP. It worked fine and I have printed out 50-60 prints. The results were crisp and clear but suddenly I don’t know what has happened and the printer is giving an error that the cartridge is not compatible with the printer.

Trouble Shooting Tried:

1. Taken out the cartridges and cleaned the circuit with dry soft tissue.
  2. Tried to reset the printer by totally disconnecting it.
  3. Re-installed the printer software.

None of these worked, however. Can anyone help me with this?
Thanks.

1. Suvadeep P

@Hovsep A:

1. Not sure about the expiration. But I could find a date in the cartridge box (JUN 2015).

@ Jan F:
    2. The cartridge is definitely not a refilled one. I purchased it from an authorized retail shop and still have the box with me.
    3. The cartridge is compatible with my printer.

Check this link:

http://www.pay3.com.sa/publish/uploads/ink_compatiability_chart_reduced.pdf

Go to page 2 and see 14th row from the last.

Lets not talk about the laser printer. The problem is with a deskjet printer. A laser printer can print more number of pages whereas my printer can printer 150 pages (approx) from a brand new cartridge and it cost 1000 INR. So after printing 50-60 pages if it stops working just like that, then it might be shocking. The printer will not print if any of the cartridge is remove. It will show an error: "Cartridge missing."

well perhaps the provider can tell you more about the cartridge and if there is expiration, maybe they can send another one to test and if everything goes well with the new one then something wrong with the old one.

• Jan F

As I said, all hypothesis...
      Anyway, since you can't print/test without the cartridge I will simply refer to the obvious option (#5 in the hp link) to try it with a new one.
      Maybe your store is accommodating and will give you a new one, maybe you will have to pay for it.
      If you do find the cartridge to be the cause I suggest contacting the hp support as Ink cartridges are under limited warranty and are usually either replaced or refunded.

If I understand the OP correctly you are having compatibility issues using a HP21b Black cartridge in a printer that actually requires HP21 Black cartridges?

Very simple, get an original HP21 Black cartridge (C9351AN) and try again because there is no point in troubleshooting a compatibility issue/warning if you are using the wrong cartridge to begin with.

• Suvadeep P

Yes you are right. The problem is with compatibility. But my question is if a cartridge is not compatible then the problem should occur when I had installed the cartridge. After taking 50-60 printout, suddenly out of the blue this problem occurs. And also the 21 and 21B are meant to be used in the same printer. Only the 21B is less costly.

• Jan F

I couldn't find the full compatibility list for both cartridges on the hp homepage (and I don't trust other sources) so assuming it is compatible, what I can think of is:

(1) Expiration – most hp cartridges, actually the circuit or chip you mentioned, is not only used to check the ink level in the cartridge but also has an expiration date. If the store you purchased them from kept stockpiling cartridges it may be one of them. Of course in that case your printer shouldn't state a "compatibility issue" but should actually tell you "out of date". Which brings me to number two…

(2) Those hp cartridges can easily be refilled e.g. with a needle and the chip on the cartridges can be reset, altered. So depending on where you buy your ink it is crucial to check the original packaging and sealing.

(3) The cartridge may simply be damaged causing a compatibility issue.

Being able to print 50-60 pages isn't really 'shocking' or something. If you happen to deal with laser printers those often require 20-50 prints just to e.g. get rid of excess toner from the drum or heating unit.

Let me make a comparison here:
      If you tank gasoline in a Diesel it doesn't stop immediately. It can go 1,2, maybe 5km before it will actually stop.

But all hypothesis aside, try taking out the black ink and printing something in color. If the message still appears after taking out the black cartridge then put it back in and take the tricolor out. Then you will know whether the issue is caused by one of the cartridges or something with the printers firmware.

If it is with the cartridge try a new, original hp cartridge designed for that printer.

For more option I suggest the following link:
      http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01442936&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3418705&tmp_track_link=ot_search

did you update HP Deskjet F370 All-in-One firmware?

• Suvadeep P

No I didn't update any firmware.

perhaps the compatible cartridge employs chips that expired so the printer is not picking it as genuine.