How can I get my HP Deskjet AIO scanner to work?

V February 4, 2015

Recently my HP DeskJet 2050 scanner hasn’t been working whenever I try to use it on my Windows 7 PC. Even though I’ve followed HP’s advice like using the HP Print and Scan Doctor utility which couldn’t find a solution.

It then sent me to a download for HP Support Solutions Framework, which didn’t work either when I installed it. I’m really not sure what to do at this point as any program I try to scan from comes up with this error:

Scanner communication cannot be established ensure your product is powered on, check the connection, and ensure your network is functioning properly.

In case it’s important to note that I use a USB cable to connect to the printer/scanner. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

1. HQI

First of all I highly recommended you boot into a Ubuntu live CD and set up Ubuntu to connect to your printer. A simple Google serach will help you learn how to accomplish this task. Basically u just open the dash and search for Printer. Once you open the app named "Printer" ensure your printer is turned on and click add. Select your printer and connect. Ubuntu will have an app named "Scan" use that app to scan a document using ubuntu and see if it works. If not definately a hardware issue, If it did its an software issue you experienced with Windows. Do let me know if its a software or hardware issue. If its a software issue I'll tell you how to solve it.

• DalSan M

Instead of going through the hassle of downloading, creating a live CD, learning how to navigate a likely unfamiliar operating system and interface, etc., the OP can just open MS Paint under Accessories in the Start menu, and use the scan function in the menu to see if the scanner does work, even if the HP software says it isn't connected. Uninstalling and reinstalling the HP software and drivers would be one of the first options to try, and then go from there. The very first thing to try, though, would be plugging the USB cable into another port, possibly the one in the back of the computer, and then try another cable if available if trying the other ports didn't work. Your suggestion would be one of the last suggestions, if at all, to try to suggest to someone that may or may not be tech savvy.

2. dragonmouth

Are the other features of the 2050 working? Copying? Printing?
    Have you tried another cable?

3. Jan F.

Try a fresh installation of the printer and scanner:

click Start and on the right hand side select Control Panel
    go into Hardware > Devices and Printer

There should be two entries for your printer, one listed under Printers and another one (the scanner 'part') under Devices. Right-click both and select to remove them.

now, disconnect the USB cable

Next, go into Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features
    Uninstall the hp printer and scanner driver, it should be named like your model.
    http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02259020

Go to the hp support site and download the latest driver for your Windows version
    http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Deskjet-2050-All-in-One-Printer-series---J5/4027463/model/4027468/drivers

Start the installation of the driver while the printer is disconnected. It will tell you when to connect the USB cable.

1) go to device manager
    2) locate HP DeskJet 2050 scanner driver (is there any yellow sign?)
    3) right click on it and choose properties
    4) click on General and Events (is there any error code?)

Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/mats/hardware_device_problems

Click the Start orb, right-click on Computer and select Manage from the context menu. In the left-hand pane, click on Services. Scroll down to Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) and ensure it is set to Automatic and it has Started. Check the same items on the WIA dependencies, Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and Shell Hardware Detection. If any of them were not set to Automatic (or Manual) and Started, double-click on it and set the start mode to Automatic and click the Start button to start the service. Retry the scanning operation again.

• V

Thanks for trying to help! Unfortunately even though I did everything you said the scanner still isn't working with any program that I try... Everything was set to automatic and had already started like you said so I tried to reset them to see if that would do anything but there didn't seem to be any change from before.