How can I get a Hotmail/Live email verification code via alternate means (not email)?

July 26, 2014

I am trying to access my e-mails on Windows 7 but Microsoft keep telling me that for security reasons I must supply a code and when I say I cannot retrieve it they will not send it to my e-mail address which I always use, but want to to a talk talk e-mail which I do not use and therefore cannot get my e-mails can you help please I am 80yrs old and don’t understand all the jargon.

[Ed. note: It is probably safe to assume that the first email account mentioned by OP is a Hotmail/Live account and the TalkTalk email account is currently set up as the alternate email for this account.]

If the Talktalk account is not yours, and you don't recognise it (could it belong to the person who set up the email for you?), then your account may have been hacked. In that case:
    Click on "Can't access your account?"
    Choose "I think someone else is using my Microsoft account"
    Choose "Other (please explain)"
    Proceed as per the on screen instructions. Your explanation about the code & talktalk is exactly what Microsoft need to hear. You may also need to provide some proof that you are the true owner of the account (e.g. they may ask you for names or subject lines in recent messages).

Take it nice and easy and you'll get there. Although there is a lot of form-filling and it all looks mysterious at first sight, the questions themselves are usually straightforward. Once Microsoft have verified your story and identity, they will restore the account to you. In my experience, this can easily take a couple of days.

Try recovering your account by visiting the below link -

https://account.live.com/acsr

It'll ask you to enter your email address(Hotmail one) to recover and the ask you alternate email address or phone number to which it can send you recovery code.

Once you'd received it,enter it on that page immediately and follow the procedure that Microsoft instructs you to do so.