How can I get an external HDD recognized on my computer again?

Erica October 24, 2014

Hi,

I have a Seagate external hard drive and my computer is not recognising it at all. The only place it is recognising it is in the device manager under storage controllers, I am currently using windows 8. It was working fine right up until the time my son copied files from it onto his computer also using Windows 8. Any help in getting the device recognised is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Erica

1) Right-click on “My Computer” then Click on “Manage”
    2) Double-click “Disk Management” You should see Seagate external hard drive
    3) Right-click in the left portion of that drive box Seagate external hard drive
    4) Click “Initialize” and “OK” in the next dialog box. Wait few seconds and it should now say “Online” in the box.
    5) If there is no assigned drive letter, right click on the big space of your Seagate external hard drive then choose Assign drive letter or Change Driver Letter and Path

Does your son's computer still recognize the drive when it is reattached? Have you tried removing the drive from Device Manager, then reconnecting the drive to your computer?