How can I get my external hard drive to work reliably again on my Windows 8.1 laptop?

Andrew November 12, 2014

I have a 1TB Seagate Backup Plus Portable drive and for some reason its started to act funny when I plug it in to my HP laptop which runs on Windows 8.1.

It remains visible in the device manager, but it not visible in My Computer at all, and after about 30 seconds it disconnect itself, this stops me from backing up any of my work.

Can anyone help me with this very annoying problem pleas?

1. DalSan M

Have you tried plugging the portable drive into another USB port? As ha14 suggests, there might not be enough power going through the port you are using, and may be going bad, so another port may work better.

there is seagate tools for hard drives, download it from seagate web
    http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-win-master/

• Andrew Pedley

Did not work, my Seagate Backup Plus Portable drive is still not staying visible for more than 30 seconds, which means the Seagate tools take to long to work before the hard drive disconnections itself

for some reason it is going offline? maybe needs more electricity. Is this happening with other USB drives
      1. Go to run and type cmd then right click on it and choose run as administrator
      2. type DISKPART and hit enter
      3. type : LIST DISK..
      4. Now select the Seagate Backup Plus Portable disk using the next command SELECT DISK
      5. Enter command ONLINE DISK.
      6. Type Exit