How can I get an estimate of my computer’s resale value?

Samantha G February 5, 2014

I would like to sell my computer as it has just become a pain in the neck. How much would you think it should be sold for? It is an ASUS and is just over a year old. I don’t care if I get 300 but I just need to sell it. However I can’t do a factory reset on it–previous and ongoing issues with that, but I don’t have any private information, pictures or valuable info on it. Please any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

1. Matthew H

I find that CEX are quite handy when it comes to getting an estimated sale price. Surf to https://uk.webuy.com/ and type in the make and model of your laptop. You'll find out how much they're prepared to buy your machine for.

2. Samantha G

Thank you all so much! Do you have any opinions on Macs'?

• Dalsan M

It depends on your usage and what you expect out of it. If you do normal web browsing, like having good options for multimedia editing and creation, abd like a simplified user instead, it can be a good option.

If you give us a run down of the issues you had with Windows and what uses you wish to have out of a computer, we could give you a better opinion on the matter. If you are up to learning a new system (unless you have used Mac OSX before, then the rest is a matter of opinion.

Hey Samantha!

Go to eBay and search for your item - under advanced search (these are filters) in the left column, filter for already completed listings. It's a pretty simple and quick method of pin-pointing the almost exact price that your item will sell for. All completed prices will be in green. Uncompleted or canceled auctions will be listed as red.

Just be sure to check for whether or not shipping was included. Sometimes shipping can get outrageously out of control and it will cause the final auction price to be lower than you might actually receive, if you charge reasonable shipping.

I find that in general when I offer an item on Craigslist, the final price tends to be much lower than the eBay price. Just a suggestion.

Good luck!

I usually look in eBay for the item, then restrict the choice to "completed listings" (an option in the left sidebar) and see how much similar items have sold for in the last week or two.

what is the full reference of Asus, you can try to sell on ebay starting 300

Here is a resource that is good for a starting point: http://www.wikihow.com/Determine-the-Resale-Value-of-a-Computer.

Here is where you can get a quote for the value of your laptop and other devices: http://www.gadgetvalue.com/.

7. Rish

I'd say your best bet is to take a look at what computers of comparable specs and in the condition yours is in are going for and actually selling for on ebay. I've seen appraisal tools but I don't really like them very much.